Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service entrance 1 1/4" rigid conduit. I planned to cut the conduit closer to the brick and use a compression connector, coupling, and rigid offset to try and close the gap. I don't have access to any bending tools of this size. I'd like this to look as clean as possible.

Apparently the original siding block was built out 5 or 6" to meet the meter as it stands. Do I just build the meter backer board out to meet the offset and call it a day?

Plant Building Wood Twig Facade

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
So a little more info on this. It's an overhead service. The customer wants me to try to reuse this conduit, which runs under the garage slab and stubs through the foundation wall. But if I can't he's agreed to abandon it and run new. I just wanted to see how others would approach reusing it. I like the PVC idea most but I try to keep it metal to metal whenever I can (just preference). 1 1/4" seems to be a standard size used for the mid century homes around here and I just don't keep a bender for it on my truck. Maybe I should invest in something long term for situations like this.

FWIW the conduit might be rotted through and filled with stone somewhere. I won't know until the day of when we try to pull new conductors.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
To follow up on this, I had to abandon the run below grade. I couldn't even winch the wire out and had extra manpower on this job to help, too. Ultimately I asked my AHJ how he wanted it done, and he suggested SER strapped overhead with disconnecting means just inside the garage. Can't argue with the guy who says pass or fail. I hit the SH and got the power back on by 4.

I will also give credit where it is due, and thank Local 41 for making me a threaded offset for this job. I couldn't use it, but it would have been a perfect fit.

Lesson learned: I will no longer attempt to reuse conduit. I think I've just been lucky in the past, but one bad run is enough for me.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
You bring up a great point. The job I reused conduit, it was encased in concrete. Conduit fill was at maximum for the job and was difficult to pull, but it was clean inside and I got the job done. I posted about it a while back.

Fixture Grey Wood Electricity Rectangle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts