Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
It's
When I first started out in business I had a partner at first who had more experience in the trade than I had and we ran into a situation where we needed to offset a 2" GRC for a mast riser. But back then I had no tooling for bending rigid steel conduits of that size . His suggestion was this: We fill the pipe with some sand right off the beach at Pipeline, and seal up the ends and then use a cutting torch to heat up the conduit and bend it like PVC , and viola' it works, but that was the only time I ever tried that one. You make the pipe glow cherry red and it gets soft. Work the length just like it was a pvc pipe you were bending using a propane torch with a cherry stone head attachment. After bending pour a bucket of water on it and let it cool down for a good while. Oh, and wear welders gloves.
Service entrance 1 1/4" rigid conduit. I planned to cut the conduit closer to the brick and use a compression connector, coupling, and rigid offset to try and close the gap. I don't have access to any bending tools of this size. I'd like this to look as clean as possible.

Apparently the original siding block was built out 5 or 6" to meet the meter as it stands. Do I just build the meter backer board out to meet the offset and call it a day?

View attachment 168718
It's frigging 1 & 1/4 gal, tool up its just 2 hockey's ya hoser.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,715 Posts
His suggestion was this: We fill the pipe with some sand right off the beach at Pipeline, and seal up the ends and then use a cutting torch to heat up the conduit and bend it like PVC , and viola' it works, but that was the only time I ever tried that one.
We needed a Piece of 3" EMT bent back in the 70's but pipe shop only had ridged shoes for the bender. After we kinked a few pieces an old timer came by, said watch this. He capped one end filled the EMT with sand, tapped the sealed end on the floor, repeated a few time capped the other end and bend it with no kinks. Then smiled as he walked away.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,775 Posts
We needed a Piece of 3" EMT bent back in the 70's but pipe shop only had ridged shoes for the bender. After we kinked a few pieces an old timer came by, said watch this. He capped one end filled the EMT with sand, tapped the sealed end on the floor, repeated a few time capped the other end and bend it with no kinks. Then smiled as he walked away.
Cap. The shoe is the same for emt and rmc you just put the pin in the other hole . Cap

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
So a little more info on this. It's an overhead service. The customer wants me to try to reuse this conduit, which runs under the garage slab and stubs through the foundation wall. But if I can't he's agreed to abandon it and run new. I just wanted to see how others would approach reusing it. I like the PVC idea most but I try to keep it metal to metal whenever I can (just preference). 1 1/4" seems to be a standard size used for the mid century homes around here and I just don't keep a bender for it on my truck. Maybe I should invest in something long term for situations like this.

FWIW the conduit might be rotted through and filled with stone somewhere. I won't know until the day of when we try to pull new conductors.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,342 Posts
Pull box on an unmetered service riser may either be forbidden or raise a few eyebrows...
It is after the meter. Plus here we install troughs on both sides of the meter depending on the application. NYC requires a service end box. or example #1. Three meters with one service feeder. Conduit with service feeders to a trough then down to three meters. or #2 a 400 amp Trans S to a trough to 2 - 200 amp panels. I have done both many times. Is this prohibited in other areas?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,342 Posts
See, the old timers knew how to get things done. I think many of the electricians today would stop the job because they did not have "the tool" to do something.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts