Electrician Talk banner

How would you offset this?

2916 74
Service entrance 1 1/4" rigid conduit. I planned to cut the conduit closer to the brick and use a compression connector, coupling, and rigid offset to try and close the gap. I don't have access to any bending tools of this size. I'd like this to look as clean as possible.

Apparently the original siding block was built out 5 or 6" to meet the meter as it stands. Do I just build the meter backer board out to meet the offset and call it a day?

Plant Building Wood Twig Facade
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
It is after the meter. Plus here we install troughs on both sides of the meter depending on the application. NYC requires a service end box. or example #1. Three meters with one service feeder. Conduit with service feeders to a trough then down to three meters. or #2 a 400 amp Trans S to a trough to 2 - 200 amp panels. I have done both many times. Is this prohibited in other areas?
You're talking about an Edison end box, yes in NYC but in other areas it's a no go. If they do allow it then like an Efison End box it needs a seal or 2. I seen multi meters on houses on LI and seems at least PSEGli is ok with them and don't even seal them. But I thought the OPs service was But 1 meter underground fed, and since there's no actual reason for a box or trough other than the contra tors self imposed hardship of running a business without the necessary tools, the utility will squash the "offset box" idea like a bug.

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
And minimum wage was 65 cents per hour.
Movies at the theater was 25 cents for kids and 50 cents for adults. That was for two movies or cartoons and a movie plus popcorn.
Gas was 12 for a dollar.
My wage with Brian Johnson Electric in Mnorthport was 5.00 an hour in 1985

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,729 Posts
You're talking about an Edison end box, yes in NYC but in other areas it's a no go. If they do allow it then like an Efison End box it needs a seal or 2. I seen multi meters on houses on LI and seems at least PSEGli is ok with them and don't even seal them. But I thought the OPs service was But 1 meter underground fed, and since there's no actual reason for a box or trough other than the contra tors self imposed hardship of running a business without the necessary tools, the utility will squash the "offset box" idea like a bug.
The OP meter was an overhead service. That meter pan is not rated for an underground service. That is why I suggested the off set pull box idea on the load side of the meter.
I just finished an underground service change and installed a pull box on the UG that fed the meter. It passed both the electrical inspection and the LIPA inspection.

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
The OP meter was an overhead service. That meter pan is not rated for an underground service. That is why I suggested the off set pull box idea on the load side of the meter.
I just finished an underground service change and installed a pull box on the UG that fed the meter. It passed both the electrical inspection and the LIPA inspection.
OK well... I know o in OTHER places a b[x line side is right out; NOT an option. IMOb

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,233 Posts
I used to fly over to Eluthera in the Bahama's when I was in high school on days I skipped school. To go surfing out by Gregorytown. $35 bucks round trip. Surfboard included in ticket price. This flight and a board bag would be around $500 now. Each way.

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
I used to fly over to Eluthera in the Bahama's when I was in high school on days I skipped school. To go surfing out by Gregorytown. $35 bucks round trip. Surfboard included in ticket price. This flight and a board bag would be around $500 now. Each way.
Well. You are pushing 70 so no surprise you remember when Penny candy was literally. O1

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
I'm so happy for you. IRL... it's usually a no go, wouldn't you agree?

Reactions: kb1jb1

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
And minimum wage was 65 cents per hour.
Movies at the theater was 25 cents for kids and 50 cents for adults. That was for two movies or cartoons and a movie plus popcorn.
Gas was 12 for a dollar.
The Smithtown Movie Theater on Main St. is alive and kicking... I'll be in town next week... let's do lunch?

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
It is after the meter. Plus here we install troughs on both sides of the meter depending on the application. NYC requires a service end box. or example #1. Three meters with one service feeder. Conduit with service feeders to a trough then down to three meters. or #2 a 400 amp Trans S to a trough to 2 - 200 amp panels. I have done both many times. Is this prohibited in other areas?
Yes.
Even LilCo and LIPA and PSEGLif orbade this arrangement... NO ACCESS TO unmetered conductors EVER. But their field tech's let SOME things slide...

You KNOW Suffolk is the MOST corrupt County in the country or am I preaching to the choir?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yes.
Even LilCo and LIPA and PSEGLif orbade this arrangement... NO ACCESS TO unmetered conductors EVER. But their field tech's let SOME things slide...

You KNOW Suffolk is the MOST corrupt County in the country or am I preaching to the choir?
They are all corrupt. School districts, county, state, federal. It only gets exposed when the opposing party gets into power.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I'm so happy for you. IRL... it's usually a no go, wouldn't you agree?
It was either a pull box above ground or a splice underground. The UG cable has a concentric neutral so there is no way to make the neutral water proof. LIPA owned and maintained cable and it was way back when LILCO installed the gas and electric in the same trench so the meter was install behind the gas meter. Over the years the gas company changed their meters so now the electric meter was about 12 inches directly above the gas meter. So they let things slide rather then replace the cable.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
We needed a Piece of 3" EMT bent back in the 70's but pipe shop only had ridged shoes for the bender. After we kinked a few pieces an old timer came by, said watch this. He capped one end filled the EMT with sand, tapped the sealed end on the floor, repeated a few time capped the other end and bend it with no kinks. Then smiled as he walked away.
Years ago the shop I worked at did not have a bender for EMT above 2 inch. Since the OD for rigid conduit 2-1/2” and above is the same OD as EMT of same size, any bends we needed we’d just do it on a piece of rigid. It slipped into an EMT coupling just fine. We just took extra care that the rigid piece was reamed real well. Never had a problem.

Sometimes experience over technology does prevail. 😜😜

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
Years ago the shop I worked at did not have a bender for EMT above 2 inch. Since the OD for rigid conduit 2-1/2” and above is the same OD as EMT of same size, any bends we needed we’d just do it on a piece of rigid. It slipped into an EMT coupling just fine. We just took extra care that the rigid piece was reamed real well. Never had a problem.

Sometimes experience over technology does prevail. 😜😜
Hack.

·
Banned
12,728 Posts
They are all corrupt. School districts, county, state, federal. It only gets exposed when the opposing party gets into power.
Negative... NOT the school districts. Set your sights on the VOLUNTEER fire district in your tax bill and ask yourself: WHY does fire protection cost MORE than the SCPD???

There ya go.

Police base pay in Suffolk is $135,000.00 per annum, plus fringes costing us 200K annually per officer. FD has no or very few salaried or paid personnel... so WHY... is your fire tax HIGHER than your POLICE TAX???

Schools are nothing but huge subsidized state-aided buildings & grounds and the rest is basically wages for teachers, Admin, and support staff... and busses. It's all about salaries and wages. ANd if you dessiminate the maths, you'll find your entire school tax NUT is LESS than a teenage babysitter for an evening out w/o the crumb snatching, carpet munching crotch spawn.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,233 Posts
Well. You are pushing 70 so no surprise you remember when Penny candy was literally. O1
Grandpa vs the IRS ( crude, but funny)
The IRS decided to audit Grandpa, and summoned him to the IRS office. The IRS auditor was not surprised when Grandpa showed up with his attorney.
The auditor said, “Well, sir, you have an extravagant lifestyle and no full-time employment, which you explain by saying that you win money gambling. I’m not sure the IRS finds that believable.”
“I’m a great gambler, and I can prove it.” says Grandpa. “How about a demonstration?”
The auditor thinks for a moment and says, “OK. Go ahead.”
Grandpa says, “I’ll bet you a thousand dollars that I can bite my own eye.”
The auditor thinks a moment and says, “It’s a bet.”
Grandpa removes his glass eye and bites it. The auditor’s jaw drops.
Grandpa says, “Now, I’ll bet you two thousand dollars that I can bite my other eye.”
The auditor can tell Grandpa isn’t blind, so he takes the bet.
Grandpa removes his dentures and bites his good eye. The stunned auditor now realizes he has wagered and lost three grand, with Grandpa’s attorney as a witness. He starts to get nervous.
“Want to go double or nothing?” Grandpa asks. “I’ll bet you six thousand dollars that I can stand on one side of your desk, and pee into that wastebasket on the other side, and never get a drop anywhere in between.”
The auditor, twice burned, is cautious now, but he looks carefully and decides there’s no way this old guy could possibly manage that stunt, so he agrees again.
Grandpa stands beside the desk and unzips his pants, but although he strains mightily, he can’t make the stream reach the wastebasket on the other side, so he pretty much urinates all over the auditor’s desk.
The auditor leaps with joy, realizing that he has just turned a major loss into a huge win. But Grandpa’s attorney moans and puts his head in his hands.
“Are you OK?” the auditor asks.
“Not really,” says the attorney. “This morning, when Grandpa told me he’d been summoned for an audit, he bet me twenty-five thousand dollars that he could come in here and pee all over your desk and that you’d be happy about it.”
Don’t mess with old people!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts