Electrician Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm in the Bay Area (California). I'm a college grad with a business degree. Soon will be going in for an interview for an IBEW apprenticeship. I currently have a stable job, but it's not what I want to do, and on top of that the money isn't that good. Now I have this opportunity coming and I'm trying to find out if it I should take it if offered. I have an aptitude for math, and I'm not concerned about getting dirty and hard work.

I came to this site to learn, and get guidance on if I should take the opportunity if they accept me. I'm married, and don't want to make a bad decision.

Some questions that I have are:
What is an apprenticeship really like?
Is there enough work to make enough money?
When does the work typically slow down?
I'm so used to regular jobs, how do the benefits work (health, retirement, vacation)?

Thanks for welcoming me.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm in the Bay Area (California). I'm a college grad with a business degree. Soon will be going in for an interview for an IBEW apprenticeship. I currently have a stable job, but it's not what I want to do, and on top of that the money isn't that good. Now I have this opportunity coming and I'm trying to find out if it I should take it if offered. I have an aptitude for math, and I'm not concerned about getting dirty and hard work.

I came to this site to learn, and get guidance on if I should take the opportunity if they accept me. I'm married, and don't want to make a bad decision.

Some questions that I have are:
What is an apprenticeship really like?
Is there enough work to make enough money?
When does the work typically slow down?
I'm so used to regular jobs, how do the benefits work (health, retirement, vacation)?

Thanks for welcoming me.

Welcome to the forum...:thumbup:

And welcome to the trade there a lot of union guys on here so they will help you out..

Remember an Aprenticeship is 4 years or more and it is like paying to go to school that is why the aprentice pay is low as time goes on you should be getting raises along the way if you are a hard worker you will make a good living..

Your business degree will come in handy when you have all the required licenses for your state so you can start your own business...Good luck.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/

http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ElectricalTrade.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts