Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an issue that I can't come up with a logical explanation. Last week I sent my service tech to address a warranty issue with a "buzzing" GFI. I told him to just check wiring and replace GFI. This week they call back and tell my that all GFIs are buzzing. I go out and sure enough, they are all making a low buzzing sound. Can't say it was a "bad batch" since one is brand new. Some are buzzing louder than others. One of the GFIs is a dedicated outlet right next to the panel, maybe 4' of wire.

House 10 months finished.
200 amp back to back with underground service.
No overhead lines in neighborhood.
All connections verified good at recepts and panel. Have not pulled meter.
P&S brand.
Sound stops when tripped.
Sound stops on all half the time, other half they are all buzzing. Time of day doesn't seem to be a factor, it's random.
Voltage checks out.

Thank you for any help.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I've got an issue that I can't come up with a logical explanation. Last week I sent my service tech to address a warranty issue with a "buzzing" GFI. I told him to just check wiring and replace GFI. This week they call back and tell my that all GFIs are buzzing. I go out and sure enough, they are all making a low buzzing sound. Can't say it was a "bad batch" since one is brand new. Some are buzzing louder than others. One of the GFIs is a dedicated outlet right next to the panel, maybe 4' of wire.

P&S brand.
Sound stops on all half the time, other half they are all buzzing. Time of day doesn't seem to be a factor, it's random.
Voltage checks out.

Thank you for any help.
Tell them to listen to really loud music 24/7 and the problem will go away...:jester:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lot of info about this out there, just a Google search get's you 3,500,000 results..:laughing:

My ears are bad so I would never hear it my self.

Do they have CFL's non-dimmable or LED fixtures ?
No LEDs but whole house is CFL. No lights in house were on until I turned some on. I tried google but all I saw was one link with the same issue and it didn't have a solution.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm guessing that it could be the current transformer inside of it buzzing, but I really don't know. Have you tried changing any of them out with a different lot or brand?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I was in a quiet kitchen and could hear the counter top GFCI making a funny noise.. wasn't quite humming or buzzing though. Was more like a chirp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm guessing that it could be the current transformer inside of it buzzing, but I really don't know. Have you tried changing any of them out with a different lot or brand?
We changed one out the first trip, new one buzzes just like all the rest. The others are ~1 year old. I went to another house down the street that was done roughly the same time with the same P&S GFIs. None of them were making any sound at all. We rarely use another brand, never had this happen. I am going to grab a Cooper and try it out just so I can say I did. I believe something else is causing this in the house. Something that I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
13 Posts

P&S brand.
Voltage checks out.

Thank you for any help.
Tech should have noticed it was still buzzing after replacing it. Tech should have searched for problem to resolve issue.
Good luck!!

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,271 Posts
What is the line voltage checking out to being?

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Funny, I renovated my bath a year and half ago and the new GFI I put in buzzes. Never thought it could be related to anything other than a noisy GFI so I just let it be. Maybe now since you have a similar issue I will investigate it more.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
I do have the lighting in the bath on the load side of the GFI, all which are on magnetic based low voltage transformers. I bet you a simple magnetic noise filter loop might fix it. I might have to try this

In your case, if magnetic transformers are not a factor, sometimes just swapping the breaker to a different phase can solve most electrical mysteries.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do have the lighting in the bath on the load side of the GFI, all which are on magnetic based low voltage transformers. I bet you a simple magnetic noise filter loop might fix it. I might have to try this

In your case, if magnetic transformers are not a factor, sometimes just swapping the breaker to a different phase can solve most electrical mysteries.
They are on both phases now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tech should have noticed it was still buzzing after replacing it. Tech should have searched for problem to resolve issue.
Good luck!!
I'm assumed he was there when they weren't buzzing. I'm not going to bother asking him, gotta keep that blood pressure in check.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts

P&S brand.
Voltage checks out.

Thank you for any help.
If the service is on the same side of the house as the heat pump check the vibrations coming from that. I've seen it happen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts