Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all, I have an opportunity to bid a lot of HVAC controls work. Does anyone know of a good way to bid controls or have a spreadsheet template that can be used as a good starting point?...any and all help is greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
sparkyy1 said:
Good evening all, I have an opportunity to bid a lot of HVAC controls work. Does anyone know of a good way to bid controls or have a spreadsheet template that can be used as a good starting point?...any and all help is greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup:
I looked for labor units for this years ago. Purchased RS means labor units for mechanical work and looked up the controls and the pages were empty. You will probably have to come up with your own labor units. Unless there is a book I haven't seen.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I bid HVAC control jobs by points. Every field device you have to hit is a point.
I charge 350 per point for mechanical room points run in EMT and 250 per point for free air runs, like stuff that would be run above t-bar ceilings.

There are some other incidentals to consider like wether or not you will be terminating the panels or will the controls contractors tech be doing the terminating, how many of the HVAC units are rooftop units.....they tend to take a bit more time....etc etc

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Yes, I have install numerous systems...for EC's I have worked with in the past. Now I am doing my own thing, I have an opportunity to bid on some of the work.
Good. I just wanted to point out the obvious and say that controls are way different than regular ol electric work. Would be very easy for someone trying to break into this with little experience to lose their pants on the first few of these jobs. But sounds like you got it handled. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be any help with bidding this stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bid HVAC control jobs by points. Every field device you have to hit is a point.
I charge 350 per point for mechanical room points run in EMT and 250 per point for free air runs, like stuff that would be run above t-bar ceilings.

There are some other incidentals to consider like wether or not you will be terminating the panels or will the controls contractors tech be doing the terminating, how many of the HVAC units are rooftop units.....they tend to take a bit more time....etc etc

I will be building and terminating panels...there is approx 17 RTU's, 4 EF's.....it will be 85%-90% plenum runs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good. I just wanted to point out the obvious and say that controls are way different than regular ol electric work. Would be very easy for someone trying to break into this with little experience to lose their pants on the first few of these jobs. But sounds like you got it handled. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be any help with bidding this stuff.

You are right as far as WAY!!! different. I have seen electricians get into controls thinking " its just cable" and screw up an entire system.

Thanks for your input!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I installed HVAC controls for 13 years and estimated HVAC controls projects for another 10.

You can come close by doing it on a point basis but you can also get burned. Case in point, controls for 15 rooftop units will be far cheaper if the controls can be mounted in the rooftop. What if the drawings show the control panel mounted down below the roof in a remote storage closet. Who provides power to the controller. Can a transformer be used on the rooftop. Become familiar with the HVAC control spec. Give me your e-mail. I have an excel spreadsheet that was made for controls estimating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed HVAC controls for 13 years and estimated HVAC controls projects for another 10.

You can come close by doing it on a point basis but you can also get burned. Case in point, controls for 15 rooftop units will be far cheaper if the controls can be mounted in the rooftop. What if the drawings show the control panel mounted down below the roof in a remote storage closet. Who provides power to the controller. Can a transformer be used on the rooftop. Become familiar with the HVAC control spec. Give me your e-mail. I have an excel spreadsheet that was made for controls estimating.

email sent!!

·
13,020 Posts
We used to have a guy that did tons of HVAC controls jobs for the same company. They engineered and commissioned it, we installed & wired. Their blueprints were all pretty much the same from job to job, and after like 15 or 20 jobs, he was pretty much just counting the number of pages in the prints and multiplying by $1000 :laughing:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts

Very good points. I have yet to get burned on a point by point basis but I have also been told that my number is a bit high for this area. We get the work because nobody else bids that type of work around here. It helps that I only have to deal with one of three differnt mechanical engineers and the specs rarely change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.