Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who is asking me to drop/dump the heated make-up air fan (to an autobody spray booth only), but leave the spray booth's exhaust fan on in the case of a fire. The customer says their fire company/contractor advised this change be made. As of now, I have always thought that make-up air fans MUST interlocked with the exhaust fan. In the case of a fire, they want me to de-energize the make-up air, and yet keep the exhaust ON!

Any comments on this?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have wired many hundreds of paint booths of all types and never have had this request. This request is something you do with kitchen ventilation systems. Might be what the fire contractor is thinking. But your codes in Canada may be different.

Normally on an enclosed paint booth, you want the air make up to start first, then the exhaust to start afterward to prevent drawing dust into the enclosure. In the event of a fire system trip you want to shut down the entire system, including the atomizing air supply. Booth manufactures that provide a complete turnkey system have never designed there packages this way. If you need proof to present to the customer and his fire contractor ask the booth manufacture. You could also ask your local fire marshal what his take on it. But sometimes you need to educate the fire contractors and even inspectors, as they may not be very knowledgeable with these systems. Even the customers fire insures may have an opinion.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,875 Posts
As said it is not your call, but don't do it without written instructions/documentation.

Cowboy

Reactions: Kevin

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,248 Posts
For kitchen exhaust fans I believe they want the exhaust fan on to draw up the fire suppressant into the ductwork. For a spray booth having the exhaust fan on might cause a draft to fan the fire. It does not sound correct. As said above, check with the Fire Marshall and spray booth instructions. Do not take it upon yourself to modify the design of the booth.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,731 Posts
Huh...

I got some work to do on the one I just wired...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts