1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Light Emitting Decoration
1,323 Posts
indiainternetuniversity.in hehe

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
20 years ago I was lucky enough to participate in some of the testing phases of using IGBT switching technology while working at a Navy testing facility, DC has certain advantages in submarine applications so lots of funding and testing of the HVDC systems we are seeing today came from all that research and testing.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
20 years ago I was lucky enough to participate in some of the testing phases of using IGBT switching technology while working at a Navy testing facility, DC has certain advantages in submarine applications so lots of funding and testing of the HVDC systems we are seeing today came from all that research and testing.
When the IGBTs turn DC into AC, is it a pure sine wave or is the wave square with something smoothing into a sine wave?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Neither, you have 2 opposing (+/-) signals that are either gated on or off, always at full voltage, by changing the timing and duration of these you can shape a pretty smooth effective sine wave.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neither, you have 2 opposing (+/-) signals that are either gated on or off, always at full voltage, by changing the timing and duration of these you can shape a pretty smooth effective sine wave.

Ok now even more confused :blink: How does a square go to a sine... I guess Im just not seeing something.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Think of the area under each "tower" on curve 3 as a sum of effective energy being equivalent to the smooth sine.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think of the area under each "tower" on curve 3 as a sum of effective energy being equivalent to the smooth sine.
So in essence each one is pulsed in varying magnitude, when the sum of all IGBTs is added together over a half cycle we see a rising or falling sine wave?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Later

1 - 18 of 18 Posts