Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am from the states and Washington State originally. I have done just about everything here in BC in regards to:

Installation of cisco routers and switches with some cli programming
Troubleshooting some aspects of Cisco Phones and routers
Installation of both analog, and LAN based PA intercom systems
Installation of heavy 450 bls 2 volt Telcom batteries,locomotive cable and iron work.
Installation of Fuel station controllers as well as POS during a large roll out
Installation of Cisco Wifi and 100s of thousands of feet of Cat5 cable
Troubleshooting all the above and also, hunt groups on multi line phone
66,110,Bix,cat3,cat5e,cat6 termination with 50 pair and certification of cat5 and above on Agilent equipment.
Integration of Fire and Alarm rj31 bisket boxes on existing hunt lines in stores.

Experience in all version of windows NT,XP,Vista,7. Personal experience with Linux since 1997 and Asterisk PBX with Polycom phones.

I have worked for Microsoft,Fluke Electronics and small companies as a network administrator, a company that was involved in national Network upgrade roll outs..that made me work 60 hours a week and travel extensive kms. I am currently working contract so, I am flexible to travel and work at a remote site for installations.

I guess I could go on and on.

What are some of the code requirements in Washington state to do low voltage technical work? I would LOVE to do DATA center installations..if anyone knows of any let met know. I do not care if I have to work in a camp and willing to travel.

I want to know what are the going rates for DATA/Voice/Telecom technicians in The Greater Puget Sound area? Or even western Oregon.

Thanks
LJK

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I am from the states and Washington State originally. I have done just about everything here in BC in regards to:

Installation of cisco routers and switches with some cli programming
Troubleshooting some aspects of Cisco Phones and routers
Installation of both analog, and LAN based PA intercom systems
Installation of heavy 450 bls 2 volt Telcom batteries,locomotive cable and iron work.
Installation of Fuel station controllers as well as POS during a large roll out
Installation of Cisco Wifi and 100s of thousands of feet of Cat5 cable
Troubleshooting all the above and also, hunt groups on multi line phone
66,110,Bix,cat3,cat5e,cat6 termination with 50 pair and certification of cat5 and above on Agilent equipment.
Integration of Fire and Alarm rj31 bisket boxes on existing hunt lines in stores.

Experience in all version of windows NT,XP,Vista,7. Personal experience with Linux since 1997 and Asterisk PBX with Polycom phones.

I have worked for Microsoft,Fluke Electronics and small companies as a network administrator, a company that was involved in national Network upgrade roll outs..that made me work 60 hours a week and travel extensive kms. I am currently working contract so, I am flexible to travel and work at a remote site for installations.

I guess I could go on and on.

What are some of the code requirements in Washington state to do low voltage technical work? I would LOVE to do DATA center installations..if anyone knows of any let met know. I do not care if I have to work in a camp and willing to travel.

I want to know what are the going rates for DATA/Voice/Telecom technicians in The Greater Puget Sound area? Or even western Oregon.

Thanks
LJK
Look here just pick the state..

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472111.htm

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Vancouver isn't for the faint of heart. I left there as soon as I finished school. Didn't feel like having a million dollar mortgage for a small house.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Your biggest challenge is getting a green card. Money is in Alberta not Washington or Oregon. In about 5 years there will be some really big deamnd for electricians in BC, just not the lower mainland.
Now that I have suffered 30 years of poverty to live here I just got used to it.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
There's ain't no greener grass LJK, but there's plenty of folks that'll sell you on that idea....~CS~

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yeah if I wanted to make a good hourly wage, I'd do some time up in Northern BC or Alberta. Everywhere else is just okay pay. Of course Vancouver just had obscene real estate prices. Though a a tradesman you could use that to your advantage.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I know. Glad most of you are up on the high cost of living here. Wife is from here and she has defiantly seen huge price hikes. Thank god she makes more then me and can afford to pay the bills.

I would not mind being away for a few months but also, are some of these locations also needing fiber optics experience? This may be my weak spot but, I am looking for some training. FOA or better known as Fiber Optics association has some courses though the light brigrade in Renton Washington as well as Bates technical collage in Tacoma. How many of you are Fo certified and feel, it provides more job security?

Can the jobs in Alberta be part time, ie, not winter months or will the employers ask for me to be there full time? I can handle the cold but not sure about -40 Celcius.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts