Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The property is a two family upper and lower, but there is only one guy who lives there. He is handicapped and in a wheelchair. I was instructed not to go into the 2nd floor because the cats would escape. It smelled like there was 50 up there.

Along with some other stuff, the customer wanted two kitchen recepts changed to GFI's. Both boxes have a 12/2 BX (w/bonding strip) in and out. I was planning on line/loading these two recepts. I took apart the hots at the feed recept. I completely take apart the load recept and while putting the wires back on the terminals, notice a load on the neutral. WTF?

I explain the problem to the homeowner. He doesn't want to pay for me to find the problem, and I should just install the GFI's. I turn off power to the lower unit, and check if there is still a load on the neutral. Sure enough, a second floor circuit is using the neutral from the first floor kitchen circuit. I was instructed to pigtail each receptacle and install the GFI's.

Even though I did everything I was instructed, I don't feel good about leaving this problem.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,567 Posts
I like resi work because I hate being in one place for too long. I can remember doing work at the IBM plant in Kingston, NY and never seeing daylight. I would get there early and when I came out there could be 3 or 4 inches of snow and we never even knew it.

Resi can be nasty with the crawl spaces and cat lovers who don't train them. I have a very nice customer who I have worked for for 20 years. Problem is they have cats and they spray all over the outlets on the kitchen counters. Every now and then we have to go there to replace them- yuck. That's is when I hate the job :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I don't miss that kind of resi but now that I'm in industrial construction I sometimes do miss doing new custom homes where you get to improvise a bit and actually see something through from start to finish. Now I just follow engineered drawings and connect point a to point b. Half the time the drawings are missing or wrong and you have to start working on something else while you wait for someone higher up the chain to get them and the material for you or decide on some alternate method. When it's all said and done nobody has anything good or bad to say about your work whether it was done well or sloppily. At least in resi someone might say thanks for making their chandelier look nice.

That said, industrial safety is way better.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
The property is a two family upper and lower, but there is only one guy who lives there. He is handicapped and in a wheelchair. I was instructed not to go into the 2nd floor because the cats would escape. It smelled like there was 50 up there.

Along with some other stuff, the customer wanted two kitchen recepts changed to GFI's. Both boxes have a 12/2 BX (w/bonding strip) in and out. I was planning on line/loading these two recepts. I took apart the hots at the feed recept. I completely take apart the load recept and while putting the wires back on the terminals, notice a load on the neutral. WTF?

I explain the problem to the homeowner. He doesn't want to pay for me to find the problem, and I should just install the GFI's. I turn off power to the lower unit, and check if there is still a load on the neutral. Sure enough, a second floor circuit is using the neutral from the first floor kitchen circuit. I was instructed to pigtail each receptacle and install the GFI's.

Even though I did everything I was instructed, I don't feel good about leaving this problem.
That is why I love residential. The challenge. Find it, fix it.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I wish residential paid more. My dream job would be a nice truck a couple helpers and one neighborhood after another. Which is how I had it in michigan in the 90's. All the paperwork, DSA inspectors and waste associated with public work in California is nauseating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts