Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a chance to do any multi meter services. Was asked to price two six meter services with disconnect and one three meter service with disconnect. I figured 4k for the three and 6k for the six but I am wondering if I am leaving money on the table with these prices.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Careful. We have had these types of jobs end up costing a lot more than expected. Have learned the hard way to be sure and get firm pricing from suppliers, best not to wing it. We've also found that the planners and inspectors treat these jobs differently and sometimes don't really know quite what to do with them. They are not sure if they are residential or commercial and we have hit unexpected snags that added time and trips. Add a generous allowance for unexpected requirements or consider T/M. Definitely sounds low to me.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I have never had a chance to do any multi meter services. Was asked to price two six meter services with disconnect and one three meter service with disconnect. I figured 4k for the three and 6k for the six but I am wondering if I am leaving money on the table with these prices.
Who are you, "Crazy Eddie?" Your prices are so low, they're INSANE!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am just replacing what is there. No feeders. Just going to remove the old underground fed disconnect and put a new one there with two three bank meter stacks. I figured in the mete rials at full retail price my cost will be lower. Also figured for inspection for the services they charge per meter for service inspection adding money to pay for waiting on him. Meterial markup but thinking I will add more to labour charge because I am thinking 1500 for the three stack and 2000 for the six stack is not enough. Just want to cover myself in case the two of us are there longer than we are supposed to be. From the looks the one that was replaced was just set where the old one was. But my luck there will be a snag of some sort.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
They do not look that bad !

If the guts are good , why would you not sandblast and repaint ?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
oldtimer said:
They do not look that bad ! If the guts are good , why would you not sandblast and repaint ?
. It looks like the rust is the only thing holding that mess together , lol ? Besides , once you get into sandblasting and painting , who's doing the job then ?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
RR,
are you sure you can do a component replacement w/o having to get address associated parts here?:001_huh:

2nd, will the 'powers that be' have their own desires? , AIC, GEC's, placement issues, etc;)

Last, after you're confident of the above, your pricing methods can be anything you'd like, as long as you profit a decent % . If i'm reading you right, you want to be in the ballpark, so it's simply a matter of doing a little peer investigation.:thumbsup:

I know one sparky who for years always took material quotes and multiplied by 3.14 :rolleyes:, but always entered the bid arena in the realm of reality

I know others that would take material quotes, add 30%, add projected labor, then add a day for 'unforeseen influences' toward a grand total

Then there is the 'net , along with whatever and whoever will be able to forward the going rate. I'm finding the social media groups like Angie trying hard to bottle us up btw:no:, but in this instance there are so many variables at play that they can't do so

Neither can some cheeseball software , which is why it's advocates are unable to compete via bid

6K>

8.5K>

good luck !

~CS~

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chicken steve said:
RR, are you sure you can do a component replacement w/o having to get address associated parts here?:001_huh: 2nd, will the 'powers that be' have their own desires? , AIC, GEC's, placement issues, etc;) Last, after you're confident of the above, your pricing methods can be anything you'd like, as long as you profit a decent % . If i'm reading you right, you want to be in the ballpark, so it's simply a matter of doing a little peer investigation.:thumbsup: I know one sparky who for years always took material quotes and multiplied by 3.14 :rolleyes:, but always entered the bid arena in the realm of reality I know others that would take material quotes, add 30%, add projected labor, then add a day for 'unforeseen influences' toward a grand total Then there is the 'net , along with whatever and whoever will be able to forward the going rate. I'm finding the social media groups like Angie trying hard to bottle us up btw:no:, but in this instance there are so many variables at play that they can't do so Neither can some cheeseball software , which is why it's advocates are unable to compete via bid 6K> 8.5K> good luck ! ~CS~
Definitely going to be checking with the POCO and inspector before sending my price in. They did have one stack replaced and I know the inspector and POCO field engineer that dealt with it so going to get their input tomorrow. Looks like they just slapped that thing on there and connected it. Used the old grounding and everything.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It's a homework thing Rolls, one thing i just remembered is the 'house meter', not sure if there's one in there, but iirc the '11 (if you're on it) emphasized it a tad more than prior cycles .....~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Boy CS. You left a good profit hanging out the weather head there.

What you're asking of is a P/E ratio SC

Does it occur to you that a smaller company with less overhead can underbid a larger one, and still have a better ratio?

~CS~

1 - 20 of 43 Posts