Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they a good starting point for learning what is useful to know in the field? I can over half of them off the top of my head right now.

1. What is a PLC, and what does it do?

2. Name three types of PLC's.

3. What is the most common method used in PLC programming.

4. Name to other types of PLC programming.

5. Name three types of input cards.

6. Name three types of output cards.

7. Can a 4-20 ma analog input card be used on a 0-10 volt signal?

8. Can a 0-10 volt analog input card be used on a 4-20 ma signal.

9. How many outputs are needed to control a 1/10th hp 480 volt three phase motor?

10. Draw a simple AND input ladder.

11. Draw a simple OR input ladder.

12. Draw a simple NOR input ladder.

13. Draw a circuit with a NO input and NC input to latch a relay coil.

14. Draw a simple circuit, using a 480vac signal and a 24vdc input card, and a resident smoke timer.

15. Name 5 different uses for a PLC.

16. Draw a simple stoplight program.

17. Draw a one shot or a flip-flop ladder diagram.

18. How do you lengthen scan time?

19. Why would you use online programming or editing?

20. Can two output coils have the same address?

21. Write down a basic motor control circuit.

22. Differentiate between source and sink inputs on a PLC.

23. Discuss the use of an E-stop circuit in a motor application.

I'm just trying to gauge what I should be learning to do PLC work professionally once I have my EET degree.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Are they a good starting point for learning what is useful to know in the field? I can over half of them off the top of my head right now.

1. What is a PLC, and what does it do?

2. Name three types of PLC's.

3. What is the most common method used in PLC programming.

4. Name to other types of PLC programming.

5. Name three types of input cards.

6. Name three types of output cards.

7. Can a 4-20 ma analog input card be used on a 0-10 volt signal?

8. Can a 0-10 volt analog input card be used on a 4-20 ma signal.

9. How many outputs are needed to control a 1/10th hp 480 volt three phase motor?

10. Draw a simple AND input ladder.

11. Draw a simple OR input ladder.

12. Draw a simple NOR input ladder.

13. Draw a circuit with a NO input and NC input to latch a relay coil.

14. Draw a simple circuit, using a 480vac signal and a 24vdc input card, and a resident smoke timer.

15. Name 5 different uses for a PLC.

16. Draw a simple stoplight program.

17. Draw a one shot or a flip-flop ladder diagram.

18. How do you lengthen scan time?

19. Why would you use online programming or editing?

20. Can two output coils have the same address?

21. Write down a basic motor control circuit.

22. Differentiate between source and sink inputs on a PLC.

23. Discuss the use of an E-stop circuit in a motor application.

I'm just trying to gauge what I should be learning to do PLC work professionally once I have my EET degree.
Good question:)

BUMP!;)

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
For schooling keep it going, but..
From my experience in industry, if your maintenance, you will have to be able to look through sub routines, and locate the area that has a problem, and be able to identify if the inputs, or the outputs are executing.
As far as programming goes, we have an electrical engineer with a masters, that does all of the design, and programming. The machines on all of the jobs I have been on are very expensive, and the processes, if botched would cost thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man but I don't plan on being maintenance. I want to be the guy that is designing the program from scratch.

I've been working with Automation Direct, Seimens, and Allen Bradley plcs so far but only to do simple things. I want to focus my studies so that in 2-4 years I can say I have enough experience to build programs from scratch.

I also plan to start building PLC trainers from scratch for some brick(micro) and modular PLCs.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Thanks man but I don't plan on being maintenance. I want to be the guy that is designing the program from scratch.

I've been working with Automation Direct, Seimens, and Allen Bradley plcs so far but only to do simple things. I want to focus my studies so that in 2-4 years I can say I have enough experience to build programs from scratch.

I also plan to start building PLC trainers from scratch for some brick(micro) and modular PLCs.
Goals is set bro, you'll get there !!! I work for a system integrator part time and really enjoy it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
High speed counters? Are those cards that will take rapid pulsed inputs?
Ya pretty much they can pick up very fast pulse widths. Say a normal discrete input can see a pulse width of 500msec, a high speed counter can pick up very fast pulses for say like 100msec and so on. A real world application would be a flow totalizer with a pulse output, that flow meter will have a k-factor say 23 689. So that meter will pulse 23 689 times per 0.1 of a m3 or whatever u have it set at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.