Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got bit by a fixture lead that wasn't connected to any power source. This was surprising. The only thing I can guess is that since the neutral was still connected and the circuit that was still live, the LED driver transmitted excess current through the fixture and nabbed me when I touched the supposedly dead black lead on the fixture whip. I've been hung up on a neutral before, but this was a first. Thoughts?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,423 Posts
The problem and fix is obviously easy..

Tie the microwave into the stove circuit. The stove circuit is 240 volts. That is what you need to operate your microwave correctly. I bet that your hot dogs are taking too long to cook in the microwave, aren't they. Talk to one of the home improvement experts at your local home dpeot or Lowes. They can explain how to do this and provide you with all of the materials required to complete the project.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Your profile says "Commercial/Industrial". What do you do & how long have you been in the trade?

Reactions: The_Modifier

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Lets say that the device you completed the circuit for had voltage of 120V, a resistance of 40 ohms, and you have a resistance of 20k ohms. Using ohms law you will have 6 ma of current running through your body and aproximately 120 volts across your body. This is indistinguishable from just grabbing the hot wire directly.

Neutals connected to hot equipment are just as dangerous as live hot wires. Don't get yourself killed by not knowing any electrical theory.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Capacitor.
Senior in college electronics course, "Hey freshman, do you know what a capacitor is?". Freshman "No".
Senior tosses freshman a charged capacitor. Freshman jumps about two feet of the floor. Senior "Now you do".
Some traditions never die.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE - [ Today I got bit by a fixture lead that wasn't connected to any power source.].

Capacitors inside can store substacial charges even when diss connectted,
In this case it's discharge path was thru you !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.