Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not for me. I don't even know what it's used for.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I have one in my hand right now...Airpax also. I would post a pic but my pager is out of film. :whistling2:

·
Registered
407 Posts
We similar ones (not two pole) in DC distribution systems. Typically -48 VDC telcom applications. Note no value shown for Hertz.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I pulled the Airpax from a junk box so I don't know what it was originally used on. There is also one here on the front of a large DC power supply that doubles as the AC on/off switch.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big John said:
Is that a breaker or just a fused molded-case switch?
I am not sure. It has a part number as a breaker. It may be used as a switch tho. Note the threaded holes on the face. It mounts to an instrument panel.

Edit. I would assume breaker because of the line and load designation on it.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's an internal order for us. It has a company part number.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
It's a hydraulic magnetic circuit breaker (as opposed to thermal magnetic). They are used a lot in marine and aircraft type applications because they are less susceptible to ambient temperature changes and more precise. They are also a lot more expensive.

That particular one is a custom version for an OEM of some sort, but the IALHK part of the number is valid. When they don't show a Hz value, that means it is DC only so in this case 80VDC max, although it was likely 12, 24, or 48VDC. It should be noted that this is only UL recognized as a supplemental circuit protector (UL1077) so it cannot be used except in a circuit that ALSO has another Branch Circuit Protection Device in it, like a fuse or a UL489 listed breaker.

And yes, the 3A is the trip current, then because these are more precise, they also give you a specific trip curve, in this case curve #51.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I has a breaker-image-3664668093.jpg

I see a 3 amp rated DC control switch, you do any solar? The only solar job I worked on had switches and breakers that looked a lot like that.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
coil power said:
I has a breaker-image-3664668093.jpg

I see a 3 amp rated DC control switch, you do any solar? The only solar job I worked on had switches and breakers that looked a lot like that.
No I do not do solar. It is out of a locomotive.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big John said:
Never seen one of those in person. It was on here that I learned they were even still manufactured.

Nola, open that thing up so we can see how it works! :laughing:
Is the hydraulic portion under pressure?
Would their be any other things to look out for?

I don't remember asking any questions when I opened a thermal magnetic to see how it worked. The company safety brainwashing must be working.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Give me a minute. Drill motor battery is dead. Also we will be destroying a single pole. The one I grabbed was in a special place with instructions above it. The single was in a box with others.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This ain't a hydraulic anything.

Reactions: pete87
1 - 20 of 37 Posts