Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Contractor
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trimming out a house, and the carpenters are there as well, finishing installing some built-ins.

End of the day today, one of them comes and tells me, "I was trying to snake the pigtail over for you, but I ran into a problem."

By problem, he meant another box, lol. Drilled right through it!

Luckily I didnt have to do any damage to the finished wall to repair it. After climbing into the attic, I was able to pull both wires up, put a JB up, drop a new wire, and pop in an old work gem.

Not a big deal...an honest mistake, but not what I wanna be doing as Im about to clean up on a Friday afternoon.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
I did someone a favour this morning and got a 2009 merlot, not sure if its any good? Foreign Euro guy was waiting by my van and said "Mr Electrician, come come!" He was shifting house and some idiot had run romex directly into his oven when it was installed instead of putting a recepticle there. I turned off the breaker and put strip connectors on the romex and taped it up, he asked how much he owed me and I said "no charge just tell your friends about our company" then he handed me a bottle of wine, I think he was a Chef and his wife was drinking tea with a poodle on her lap, haha.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Normally don't unless there's three or more wires in the box, but do "pig tail" my grounds. Haven't been on to many commercial jobs but I have seen both. I think it has more to do with the wire size and type. IMO.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I'm not a resi guy, but is it common in residential, not to pigtail receptacles?
Pigtailing is always a better job, and looping saves a lot of time when things need to be moved, or incidents like the OP happens

~CS~

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
I did someone a favour this morning and got a 2009 merlot, not sure if its any good? Foreign Euro guy was waiting by my van and said "Mr Electrician, come come!" He was shifting house and some idiot had run romex directly into his oven when it was installed instead of putting a recepticle there. I turned off the breaker and put strip connectors on the romex and taped it up, he asked how much he owed me and I said "no charge just tell your friends about our company" then he handed me a bottle of wine, I think he was a Chef and his wife was drinking tea with a poodle on her lap, haha.

( wife was drinking tea with a poodle )!

Most people use a cup , or at least a straw ! :whistling2:

Sorry! It just struck me funny !

But I guess some people are not fussy about who they drink with ! :laughing:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I Hate it when others try to help me too, means I usually need to redo whatever they attempted to get done.

·
Registered
712 Posts
been pigtailing for over a decade.. been commercial since i came in. most prints detail to do so nowadays.. i loop through ground screws to save space.. going to check out that reference.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts