Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss have given me a truck, I'm scare to being use to pick up supplies. Im worried if that's all they are gonna use me for. It's only my second week. Why would they give me a truck for any other reason?

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,372 Posts
What’s to worry about? You have to swing by a supply house in the morning, or pick up stuff from the shop in the afternoon for the next day?

A lifetime ago I worked for an industrial contractor that expected all that with your personal pickup truck. Sadly, there was no shortage of guys that were happy to do it. They had no company trucks. Everything was moved with personal trucks. Every employee had some sort of deal with the boss.

If they turn you into a material driver, when you were expecting to learn a trade, that might be a different story.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
432 Posts
Start a journal record daily mileage and where you went. Keep it for a month and if no one has questioned anything then just drive.
A lot of companies put GPS on the trucks. As long as you doing what is job related your good to go no matter where you are. Buddy of mine got his truck taken away because he was parked in front of a bar every afternoon. Stupid is as stupid does. I still laugh at him about it. Only Foreman for the company that drives his own truck.

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What’s to worry about? You have to swing by a supply house in the morning, or pick up stuff from the shop in the afternoon for the next day?

A lifetime ago I worked for an industrial contractor that expected all that with your personal pickup truck. Sadly, there was no shortage of guys that were happy to do it. They had no company trucks. Everything was moved with personal trucks. Every employee had some sort of deal with the boss.

If they turn you into a material driver, when you were expecting to learn a trade, that might be a different story.
We have most of our parts inside our place already and they run to buy supply usually before a job or the day. There's guys that have been there longer and don't have that truck. I'm not getting the loaded truck with tools just a truck with a tool box and a long bed.
I'm worry about the second part. I'll hold on. It's use for work and I don't even need it. Just hate the part where I gotta run supply when I can be learning and working.

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Start a journal record daily mileage and where you went. Keep it for a month and if no one has questioned anything then just drive.
A lot of companies put GPS on the trucks. As long as you doing what is job related your good to go no matter where you are. Buddy of mine got his truck taken away because he was parked in front of a bar every afternoon. Stupid is as stupid does. I still laugh at him about it. Only Foreman for the company that drives his own truck.
Our truck doesn't have gps. But I won't use it outside of work hour unless it on my way home.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You are an apprentice. One of things apprentices do is go get supplies. This is a normal part of electrician training. I wouldn't start complaining about it until your six months there and they haven't let you do anything else. Take this as an opportunity to learn more about the various materials and how to deal with supply houses. You can learn anywhere.

The IRS says a passenger vehicle costs 55 cent per mile to operate. Your ten mile round trip in a company vehicle is saving you $5.50 a day. That's $27.50 a week.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First six months of my apprenticeship was spent in the company shop driving a company truck.
Picked up supplies at the supply house and deliver to the jobsite.
Only took the company truck home a few times after making a delivery close to where I lived and there was no way to get back across town before quitting time.
The worst part of the job was when a job was completed and all the tools and gang boxes came back from the jobsite.
Company was doing a lot of high rise buildings, so when the job was over everything was tossed into who knows how many gangboxes and returned to the shop.
My job was to check in all the tools and clean out the gang boxes.
We had a table made out of a 4'x8' sheet of plywood with 2"x6" backstops .
Everything was dumped on the table and I had to sort though it and put it on the shelves in the shop.
The service truck drivers stocked their trucks with the leftovers from the big jobs.
Learned all about the various materials used in construction.
Got to know the owner of the company that way and when I finally got put on a job, it would raise eyebrows when he would say hi and use my name.

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First six months of my apprenticeship was spent in the company shop driving a company truck.
Picked up supplies at the supply house and deliver to the jobsite.
Only took the company truck home a few times after making a delivery close to where I lived and there was no way to get back across town before quitting time.
The worst part of the job was when a job was completed and all the tools and gang boxes came back from the jobsite.
Company was doing a lot of high rise buildings, so when the job was over everything was tossed into who knows how many gangboxes and returned to the shop.
My job was to check in all the tools and clean out the gang boxes.
We had a table made out of a 4'x8' sheet of plywood with 2"x6" backstops .
Everything was dumped on the table and I had to sort though it and put it on the shelves in the shop.
The service truck drivers stocked their trucks with the leftovers from the big jobs.
Learned all about the various materials used in construction.
Got to know the owner of the company that way and when I finally got put on a job, it would raise eyebrows when he would say hi and use my name.
If I had to do that, I'll quit within 1 week. I can't be doing that. They need to handle their own material and put away their stuff or hire someone whose is not doing any electrical work. I feel like it's a waste of time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If I had to do that, I'll quit within 1 week. I can't be doing that. They need to handle their own material and put away their stuff or hire someone whose is not doing any electrical work. I feel like it's a waste of time.
When you're an apprentice you do what you're told to do.
This was back when I was in the local union.
Quitting a job would get you tossed out of the local.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,598 Posts
That's a damn poor attitude.

Do you think the offic people or bosses are dealing with materials?

You are an apprentice, you do as instructed by those with seniority.

Learning various materials by separating and restocking them while being paid is an easy day.

Keep your ears open, mouth closed and stay off your phone (personal use).

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,406 Posts
If you show attitude like that, don't worry, they'll fire you within a week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This was embarrassing to read, definitely check yourself. You are the "someone" who can't do any electrical work yet. As others mentioned, be grateful you're not making parts runs in your own vehicle.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,406 Posts
Lmao..

91 degrees 100% humidity and I'm hand digging a trench under a control panel with 25 years experience.

Give me the truck I will go get the parts
When I was with traffic, I had 35yrs exp (30 years with that company), and I still went out and pulled cable with the guys. I'd also go out and troubleshoot in + or - 30˚C weather.
I was Supervisor, I had Foremen below me, electricians and techs, and plenty of helpers.

If I had any one of them complain about the labour, they'd be gone !
McD's is hiring

1 - 20 of 88 Posts