Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you swap electrical panel how do you remove those plastic connectors adapters. I am afraid I might damage cable if I can reuse them would be great but my concern is insulation of cables snd time spend removing them.
I don’t have a picture of them but they are gray about inch and a half long sometimes passing through one or two plastic cables and then compressed like Ziploc I think that’s not a reversible

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I think they look like this but i am not sure i could not see well behind **** rock. I might move cable inside panel couple of inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
25 Posts
They can be a pain. Especially if it's in a difficult location. From inside the box, wedge a screw driver in between the little notch and the box. Hit them with a hammer side cutters, If you can squeeze the plastic notches with channel locks they'll come out. Don't try to save them. They're not worth the time.
As always check your cables for nicks when hooking back up.

·
Administrator
EC
22,587 Posts
I don't like them as they will be difficult to take out. I think you can get them out without damaging the cable.

I may be the only one around my area that still likes the metal nm connectors.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,952 Posts
I've always considered them disposable when it comes to removing them.

Don't like them either. I've never used a single one on any installation. Ever.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
171 Posts
I vote for metal two screw connectors, we were not allowed to call them romex connectors.
I see plastic as a step down in the product development. They even allow plastic seal tite around here, KNOWING it will not last 5 years. I live in shady Arizona. Metal and concrete are the only products that hold up. Even red wood needs a coat of paint yearly to with stand the onslaught of the sun.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The old T&B 3201 plastic connector. I have not seen these in years. They used to be kind of a standard for NM cable ran into panels and metal boxes. They were quick and easy to install. I never tried to re-use them because they were not very expensive. I used Side cutters to remove them without damage to the cable.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
647 Posts
I HATE THEM.

I still use the two screw metal clamps, or occasionally the black push in bushings.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I've always considered them disposable when it comes to removing them.

Don't like them either. I've never used a single one on any installation. Ever.
In my apprenticing days we used lots of them. Never had any problems.

Getting them apart ain’t all that. Some times you can use ***** to pull the plunger out. Grab the plunger low and rotate your ***** against the body. If it won’t budge, just use the ***** to make 2 cuts to the body of the connector and remove the part that holds the plunger in place. Either way is done in under a minute.

I will use those things but my first choice is 2 screw connectors.

EDIT: apperantly you can’t say d.y.k.e.s. here, so just replace ***** with diagonal cutters.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't like the black a$$holes. The 4040s are the way to go. Or, as you said a 2 screw connector.
OK, I Googled, and no idea what a 4040 is. Unless you are speaking of MC cable connectors...

I use a lot of the Arlington black push ins (used to be gray), but there is another brand that is bulkier, so not as nice. But on a panel I only use the two screw connectors, makes the job look better IMNSHO.

Then there was a bunch of two screw connectors I bought 20 years ago that were cast and rough inside. Yep, some of them had a sliver sticking up that would pierce the Romex. Not fun when turning on a breaker and the 12/2 in front of you arc flashes. :mad:

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,627 Posts
OK, I Googled, and no idea what a 4040 is. Unless you are speaking of MC cable connectors...
I don't think you have these in the states.
p_1000109987.jpeg

Reactions: Max C.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Probably the one, singular advantage with that type of plastic connector is that they're listed for both NM cable and portable cord. Stocking one item for two uses goes a long way in a small service van or truck.

Apart from that though, they're more difficult to install and remove than most other NM connectors, so I'll pass...

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,281 Posts
Try typing it spelled dikes. It is how I see it spelled many places.
Plus you don’t have to get into the debate whether they are diagonal cutters or side cutters. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts