Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a nightmare and I have to go back and finish another day and crawl back under that damn thing:censored:

Everything and anything was a major pain with this job. And at the end of the day I temp wired up the one motion flood and the damn thing doesn't work in any other mode but the test mode:censored: Tried everything turning the breaker on and off nothing works. In test mode it works awesome.

I verified everything was wired right because I installed a photocell on the flood. She bought the cheapest motion sensor floods by Zenith:censored: Tried to talk her into RAB lights but she said lets start with these first.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
What a nightmare and I have to go back and finish another day and crawl back under that damn thing:censored:

Everything and anything was a major pain with this job. And at the end of the day I temp wired up the one motion flood and the damn thing doesn't work in any other mode but the test mode:censored: Tried everything turning the breaker on and off nothing works. In test mode it works awesome.

I verified everything was wired right because I installed a photocell on the flood. She bought the cheapest motion sensor floods by Zenith:censored: Tried to talk her into RAB lights but she said lets start with these first.
Your helper was Murphey wasn't he?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird thing I just read that in test mode it bypasses photocells. If that is the case how come it shut off completely in test mode after I shined my flashlight in the photocell?

I taped up the pcell with black tape real good and tested it in test mode and light worked fine. I left it on test mode and took the tape off the pcell and the light didn't come on at all and it was daylight. So i'm 99.9% the pcell is wired fine.

Weird.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
nope...its just a POS .....I have installed more and more stuff the last few years that is faulty right outta the box.....GFIC's are number 1 but light fixtures are a very close number 2......owner supplied home depot stuff tops the list :no:

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh i think I may have figured it out. I didn't install this tiny plastic piece called a light shield at the bottom of the motion sensor.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Err Derr my problem is the damn things have photocells built in. I installed my own pcell so its redundant causing a problem.

I figured these were real cheap and didn't have them built in. I'm a jackass wtf:laughing:

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
You can now inform her that she's spent more on your labor for troubleshooting than she would have spent if she would have just had you install a quality one at the start.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can now inform her that she's spent more on your labor for troubleshooting than she would have spent if she would have just had you install a quality one at the start.
The only thing I sell and stand behind is the RAB Stealth lights. Customer supplied crap that doesn't work is charged for accordingly. Most of the time they could have had the RAB's for fixing the other stuff.

Err Derr my problem is the damn things have photocells built in. I installed my own pcell so its redundant causing a problem.

I figured these were real cheap and didn't have them built in. I'm a jackass wtf:laughing:
Some times reading is fundamental. Especially the Mfg. instructions. ;)

·
Registered
Electrician
4,311 Posts

I started to post that most of the Zenith lights I have installed have a photo cell in them.:rolleyes:

Most all outdoor wall and post lights that the big box stores sells have a PC whether it's motion or not.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
nope...its just a POS .....I have installed more and more stuff the last few years that is faulty right outta the box.....GFIC's are number 1 but light fixtures are a very close number 2......owner supplied home depot stuff tops the list :no:
Its not just cheap lights at all. Over the last 5 years things have gone right in the crapper for us too.

It could be anything from brand new electronic overloads, to analog output cards that are junk straight from the factory. And we are not talking cheap
off-brand equipment.

Just two weeks ago we replaced a panelview because the touchscreen was trashed. I personally replaced it, and as soon as power came on the thing smelled like smoke. Damn thing never even lit up, just another piece of expensive trash right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Component failure "out of the box", has become so common, I don't assume that any new thing will work until tested after installation. Brands, grades nor cost seem to make any difference.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
lefleuron said:
Its not just cheap lights at all. Over the last 5 years things have gone right in the crapper for us too. It could be anything from brand new electronic overloads, to analog output cards that are junk straight from the factory. And we are not talking cheap off-brand equipment. Just two weeks ago we replaced a panelview because the touchscreen was trashed. I personally replaced it, and as soon as power came on the thing smelled like smoke. Damn thing never even lit up, just another piece of expensive trash right out of the box.
Yup. All we get to work with now is cheap junk that is more expensive than the older high quality stuff. Everything from wire (thinner insulation, different annealing process) to switches and contactors (IEC instead of NEMA). More callbacks and for warranty stuff we have to eat the labor. Garbage, the lot of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts