Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share the good news. I will have one less contractor to bid against pretty soon if he continues pricing jobs this way. I priced the job out at $2500 and word is he beat me by $1200. I was a little shocked at first until I found out who it was. He runs his company out of a 10 + yr old Chevy venture mini van. He has ladders lashed to the luggage rack with romex.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Holy half. Probably a customer you don't want anyway. You think a big red flag would go off for the customer when it's half!!
What isn't he doing that the other guy is would be my thought!!

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Holy half. Probably a customer you don't want anyway. You think a big red flag would go off for the customer when it's half!!
You would think that. We just bid a big industrial job. We were up against names like General Electric and Cutler-Hammer. Somehow one of those big names came it at almost half of our bid and yes, the customer gave them the job.

I really want to see how that job turns out. Smells like change-order to me.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
So the guy was willing to work for less.. it sucks... but only believe what you see.. not what you hear...

Doing a job for almost half sounds "fishy".. :eek::eek:
Very rarely do I believe other guys numbers, when a HO or GC tell me. Its nothing for someone to under bid you by a couple hundred, it is something big for someone to come in at half your price.

Either they completely blew their estimate, and he will will eat this one, OR, the guy came in a little less than you and someone is using this as an opportunity to lower his price even more by seeing if you will take the bait.

Take what you hear with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found out from my friend who is the carpenter on the job. He has a GC license but would rather just be a carpenter. The home owner is the GC on this one. He turned down my friends price on the tile work and hired from CL. I guess it was a nightmare. By buddy also called out the EC on some shady stuff he was doing. I priced for 2 new countertop receptacle circuits and the cabinet lighting on the old circuit that previously fed the kitchen. He put it all on the original circuit. He then put the new exh hood, microwave and wine cooler on a new circuit. I spelled out 4 new circuits I was going to install on my bid and he only added one new circuit. I hate to think what he did for the new electric range. The existing circuit was 8/2 cloth covered romex. I priced it for a new circuit to be installed. The home owner bought a $10,000+ appliance package but didn't want to pay for a decent electrician. Well, I think I'm decent anyway.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I found out from my friend who is the carpenter on the job. He has a GC license but would rather just be a carpenter. The home owner is the GC on this one. He turned down my friends price on the tile work and hired from CL. I guess it was a nightmare. By buddy also called out the EC on some shady stuff he was doing. I priced for 2 new countertop receptacle circuits and the cabinet lighting on the old circuit that previously fed the kitchen. He put it all on the original circuit. He then put the new exh hood, microwave and wine cooler on a new circuit. I spelled out 4 new circuits I was going to install on my bid and he only added one new circuit. I hate to think what he did for the new electric range. The existing circuit was 8/2 cloth covered romex. I priced it for a new circuit to be installed. The home owner bought a $10,000+ appliance package but didn't want to pay for a decent electrician. Well, I think I'm decent anyway.
It's all a mind game, I'll bet the other guy was just a $100 off not the $1200 you were told.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Just wanted to share the good news. I will have one less contractor to bid against pretty soon if he continues pricing jobs this way. I priced the job out at $2500 and word is he beat me by $1200. I was a little shocked at first until I found out who it was. He runs his company out of a 10 + yr old Chevy venture mini van. He has ladders lashed to the luggage rack with romex.
If u don't mind , what kind of job was it? I undercut bids but by using aluminum when others price copper. That's almost half so it can't be me methods. The minivan thing usually screams hack.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Problem is, even if/when the guy eventually goes under, there will someone else there to take his place.

There will always be someone out there who will be willing to shave a little off. To take the job a little cheaper and to work a little longer.

They think they can find a way to do it somehow better than the other guys out there.

They either figure it out the hard way or fade away.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It just so happens i'm running a 14 yr old chevy mini van , with romex holding the ladders down right now btharmy

I've been hittin' the bricks with my best poker face taking advantage of bean counters who have bottom line OC , then using their indecision as well as the prevalent bureaucracy (ignorance of the law is $$$ folks:thumbsup:!) as leverage for $$$$'s

Throw everything the biz consultants say in the ocean, there's gold in the ignorati, and there's more ignorati than sheep out there prime for fleecing :laughing::thumbup::thumbsup:

~CS~

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
formulate you're speal on why customers should choose you even though you may be more expensive includes things like;
your license
you have bonding and insurance
the job will be permitted and inspected
some sort of warranty
customer referrals or compliments on your work
comparing apples to apples on estimates
Etc.
maybe have a paragraph like this on your estimate stating why they should choose you even though you may be a little bit more expensive. put a bold print lettering to beware of low ballers.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
We lose jobs to the lowballers frequently. It happens......we just nod and move on.

The last one I lost, I was beaten by $89,000. Our price was 2nd highest at $353,000, the winning bid was $264,000. We weren't even the highest bidder. He was given the chance to withdraw his bid by the GC but he claimed he was happy and comfortable with it so he is doing the job.

This crap happens all the time and only half of those guys fade away. Some of them learn why their bids are so low and live to bid another one.:laughing:

Reactions: Thomps

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bkessler said:
Are you supposed to get every job you bid? I don't see what the big deal is.
I don't mind losing a job. It happens all the time. If I got every job I bid that would be a red flag that I am leaving $$$ on the table. I am confident I didn't leave $1200 on this guys table. I was just shocked at the margin. Nothing more. Nothing less.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I don't mind losing a job. It happens all the time. If I got every job I bid that would be a red flag that I am leaving $$$ on the table. I am confident I didn't leave $1200 on this guys table. I was just shocked at the margin. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Sometimes the numbers come as a shock. It sucks for sure. Was there any other bidders? Were they close to your numbers?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
btharmy said:
Those low ballers can be annoying.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rollie73 said:
Sometimes the numbers come as a shock. It sucks for sure. Was there any other bidders? Were they close to your numbers?
I don't know of any other bidders.

·
Banned
652 Posts
It just so happens i'm running a 14 yr old chevy mini van , with romex holding the ladders down right now btharmy

I've been hittin' the bricks with my best poker face taking advantage of bean counters who have bottom line OC , then using their indecision as well as the prevalent bureaucracy (ignorance of the law is $$$ folks:thumbsup:!) as leverage for $$$$'s

Throw everything the biz consultants say in the ocean, there's gold in the ignorati, and there's more ignorati than sheep out there prime for fleecing :laughing::thumbup::thumbsup:

~CS~

I bet you sell a lot of AFCI circuit breaker upgrades. Ignorati is bliss.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts