Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took a long road trip across NY state today. Ventured way off the thruway and into rural areas and through collapsed industrial cities. You guys sure love SE cable. I think 99% of services I saw were SE. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I have a service coming up soon where I'll be using copper and PVC. Kinda rare but this customer insisted on the copper and whole house surge protection. We normally install SEU for 100-200 amp services.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I have not installed SE services since 93' with the exception of a few hit and run jobs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just took a long road trip across NY state today. Ventured way off the thruway and into rural areas and through collapsed industrial cities. You guys sure love SE cable. I think 99% of services I saw were SE. :thumbup::thumbup:
Which cities? You do know the history of some of them like Schenectady right?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Just took a long road trip across NY state today. Ventured way off the thruway and into rural areas and through collapsed industrial cities. You guys sure love SE cable. I think 99% of services I saw were SE.

SE cable is obviously the cause of the collapse of these cities. They'd still be thriving if they used a modern IMC/THWN system. :thumbup: :laughing:

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which cities? You do know the history of some of them like Schenectady right?
Yes, very familiar with them and the decline of the NYS economy. I have been to all the upstate cities in NY but on this trip it was Ogdensburg, Watertown and Syracuse.

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
Care to share some of the stories about these cities? Flown into Siberacuse and Ithaca a few times. Been to buffalo a couple of times. Albany too many times to count.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It most likely will.

The only reason I use PVC and XHHW is because I use it as a reason why my installation is better and will last longer. Just a sales pitch.
Like the fake discount your boy Rob uses? :laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is strange about SE cable is when you get off Long Island..

We have to sleeve it below and above the meter pan in conduit..

That added protection will keep a psycho from beating it with a tree branch.. :laughing:
That's the dumbest rule ever.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
That's the dumbest rule ever.
Then they put a pound of duct seal around the SE connector and eventually the top conduit sleeve gets pushed into the duct seal..

Now you have a place where water runs down the SE cable.. gets trapped above the SE connector and eventually leaks into the meter pan..

Job security at its best.. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Tool Fetish
716 Posts
I helped a guy put up a 3 phase 200 amp mast service on a store on Staten Island 30 years ago. It failed inspection. The 2" GRC mast had to be sleeved inside of 3" GRC where it passed through the soffit. It was considered to be inside of the building. It was only about 3' inside of the soffit, not like one of those long mansard type of overhangs.:(

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
MTW said:
Yes, very familiar with them and the decline of the NYS economy. I have been to all the upstate cities in NY but on this trip it was Ogdensburg, Watertown and Syracuse.
That's my old stomping grounds.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts