Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
UMMMM 9-5 well usually one day then your fired for being LATE.
I just got out of the military, we dont sleep. Perhaps you can enlighten me on what a first shift schedule is generaly called. I've been woken up at 2 in the morning to build GBU's to drop on terrorist's laps. I apologize, what I meant to say is when will this brutal, come home to see your family everynight schedule start?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Morning break starts at 9:00. Work starts at 6:30 or 7:00.

Sorry. That's civvie time. That's 06:30 or 07:00. Chow is 11:00 or 12:00, somewhere in there. Set down the tools.... 3:30 or, dang it, sorry..... 15:30 or 16:00. But 10-12 hour days are not unheard of. We don't have bankers' hours.

BTW,
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Morning break starts at 9:00. Work starts at 6:30 or 7:00.

Sorry. That's civvie time. That's 06:30 or 07:00. Chow is 11:00 or 12:00, somewhere in there. Set down the tools.... 3:30 or, dang it, sorry..... 15:30 or 16:00. But 10-12 hour days are not unheard of. We don't have bankers' hours.
Thanks sparky, I appreciate it.

Im kinda confused with all this process, a guy that owned a business sent me down to the jatc to take the test. Im from Youngstown, Ohio. Home of middle weight champ Kelly Pavlik:thumbup:

·
Registered
32,798 Posts
In Washington DC traffic is ridiculous, so construction normally starts at 6:00 AM though some jobs have taken to 5:30 AM, now when you consider many of the workers come from far north, south, east and west of DC, Places like West Virginia, Pennsylvania traveling 1.5-2 hours one way, that makes for an early wake-up for many. BUT if they started later their trip could take 2-3 hours due to traffic increases.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I spent years getting up at 430 so I could pick up the truck at 500 to be at work with the truck at 530 to 600 BUT we would take two short breaks leave at 200 drom off the truck at 245 and be home by 315! That was nice, except the responsability of running a 1.5 million electric job with and for a bunch a$$holes!

·
Registered
617 Posts
JATC is the electrical union apprentice program.
After your interview they will mail you a number score of how well you did. Then mail another letter saying when the orientation is(usually once a month) then you'll go to work as soon as your available after that.
For me it was 6 weeks between interview and orientation.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
In Washington DC traffic is ridiculous, so construction normally starts at 6:00 AM though some jobs have taken to 5:30 AM, now when you consider many of the workers come from far north, south, east and west of DC, Places like West Virginia, Pennsylvania traveling 1.5-2 hours one way, that makes for an early wake-up for many. BUT if they started later their trip could take 2-3 hours due to traffic increases.
I know. I have many aquaintances in my area who work in the DC/Baltimore metro area. Early to bed and early to rise is their lifestyle. They have more money than a show dog can jump over, and no time to spend it. Tough problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.