Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm 33, I've got two kids and a mortgage, and I work for the family business. I had thought I would take it over one day, but nope, it's for sale. Otherwise the folks can't retire because the company's in debt up to its eyeballs.

Dad used to be an electrician back in the '80s, and he made sure I grew up with the basic skills. When we built our winery he and I wired up the whole thing together - just one of many, many electrical projects he and I did on the family farm. Dad, by the way, fell out of the trade when his father wanted to retire and ended up taking over the farm (and eventually started a winery).

I want a real trade, I want a challenge, and I want an opportunity to get really, really good at something. I kind of drifted around and became a jack-of-all-trades and I am sick of that. Frankly, I need a much faster pace than life at the winery.

Ok: Cracking into the trade is not so easy. Do you have some practical advice as to how to make myself attractive as an employee? I'm not worried once I've got my foot in the door: I'm easy to get along with and highly motivated.

Fall arrest, WHMIS, etc.? Could you recommend cold calling? Should I check in with electrical supply houses?

One thing: I'm not moving to Alberta. The wife has a great job here in Ontario, and we don't want to leave anyway.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. I appreciate it.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm 33, I've got two kids and a mortgage, and I work for the family business. I had thought I would take it over one day, but nope, it's for sale. Otherwise the folks can't retire because the company's in debt up to its eyeballs.

Dad used to be an electrician back in the '80s, and he made sure I grew up with the basic skills. When we built our winery he and I wired up the whole thing together - just one of many, many electrical projects he and I did on the family farm. Dad, by the way, fell out of the trade when his father wanted to retire and ended up taking over the farm (and eventually started a winery).

I want a real trade, I want a challenge, and I want an opportunity to get really, really good at something. I kind of drifted around and became a jack-of-all-trades and I am sick of that. Frankly, I need a much faster pace than life at the winery.

Ok: Cracking into the trade is not so easy. Do you have some practical advice as to how to make myself attractive as an employee? I'm not worried once I've got my foot in the door: I'm easy to get along with and highly motivated.

Fall arrest, WHMIS, etc.? Could you recommend cold calling? Should I check in with electrical supply houses?

One thing: I'm not moving to Alberta. The wife has a great job here in Ontario, and we don't want to leave anyway.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. I appreciate it.
Welcome to ET..:thumbup:

Cold calling and the supply-houses is a great idea, get yourself out there and knock on doors of electrical contractors, sending out resume's will just get you ignored in my opinion, so get out there and do it.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
when i was a nothing (some say i still am btw), i transferred within the company i was working for. the only opening in the maintenance dept was for electrician helper. so, it just come together for me. but, the reason i am posting is not about how i got my fist job, it is what happened next.

after 3 months as a helper, i was fired for horseplaying and not reporting the accident to the proper people. so, i went back to driving forklifts, etc. i really missed it.

do what i did. there are alot of EC's who will hire grunts (another term for green helpers). i took a job with no tools. the EC bought my tools for me and told me that if i stayed with him for 6 months, they were mine for free ($150 value). and that is how i got started.

i can tell you for sure in my area, there is a labor shortage. i would love to have you come work for me if you were in texas. its very hard to find people who are willing to work in adverse conditions (muddy, hot). it would be very easy for you to start here as a green helper.

good luck to ya.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

With all due respect to your enthusiasm , the winery's looking good to me Spark....:jester:

Good luck out there...:thumbsup:

~CS~

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I'd like to take up distillery and horticulture at the same time.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Look into staying on or other wineries. You have what could be considered an ideal skill set, a little bit of knowledge about the inner workings of the business. Try to hire on as a part time apprentice and part time (whatever else it is you do) to another place.

This could allow you to get your foot in the door, but still be a valuable asset all around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.