Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..all over my truck.
Tire Wheel Sky Snow Automotive tire

What a mess!

On my way to work, after crossing a covered bridge I have to accelerate petty hard to get up a hill around a bend. Plows had been past my house at 6am, but not the other side of the bridge. Hit some ice and couldn't save it.

I feel pretty lucky to have walked away unharmed.

· Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,623 Posts
Glad you walked away too. did you get hurt?

How bad is the vehicle?

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
37,001 Posts
Bummer. Before I clicked I figured it was going to be " onto my laptop computer", which I have managed to accomplish three times already in the last 5 or 6 years. Upside down car is much worse. Glad you are ok.

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
37,001 Posts
Do you own a Greenlee Super Tugger? I'd have you upsided and out of there in a snap if I was suddenly transported magically with all my gear............

· Super Moderator
Florida, USA
9,245 Posts
So glad you're ok, but you're going to have to eat some crow on that.
I predict a family member or drinking buddy is going to get you that inverted spare tire cover that says "If you can read this flip me back over".

How is the condition of the vehicle? OK? Seems like an easy "roll it back over" for a tow truck.

I like the tugger suggestion too!

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Not a scratch or bruise on me. My passenger on the other hand was thrown from the vehicle..
Hair Eye Arm Toy Doll

Found her in the snow beside the truck after crawling out. She had been sitting in the center console.

Im sure I'll get some ribbing over this.. its only fair. My apprentice put his truck in the ditch last winter and crunched the box side pretty good. We called him crash for a few weeks and would bug him if he had to use a lift or move the van.

Id say the truck is done..
Automotive parking light Car Snow Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Snow Car Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Car Snow Vehicle

Parts aren't easy to find anymore.. Not worth my time and money at this point to repair it. Haven't tried to start it again.

· Can't Remember
11,520 Posts
I found a softball sized bulge on the sidewall of one of the rear tires of the truck and it took two days to get a replacement. I got to pay this afternoon and the other tire across from it is damaged too. Back in again monday for another tire replacement. Worked out of the civic today, does that make me a trunk slammer? My daughter said to one of her friends, dad has time to come fix your problems... Actually a not a bad day, inside, warm and dry, easy resi switch and dimmer replacements. Back on topic, not like I haven't had any vehicular carnage in my past.

Estwing magic
28,129 Posts
A car is a car, it can be replaced. It’s just a thing. The important thing is that you and your passenger are safe. Living in a cold climate, I know how difficult winter driving can be. I once had a minivan hit ice in the opposite lane on the highway. He swerved in front of me and I missed him by inches. There was an explosion of snow as he hit the ditch but there was nothing I could do. I had to keep going.

My ex-wife slid on ice and got hit by a city bus. Calling her “Crash” would have been grounds for divorce. Oh, never mind. 🤣

· Electrical Contractor
6,001 Posts
Glad to see you walked away. Guess your passenger didnt have the seat belt adjusted.
Hit ice on a gravel road, while up in Northern Manitoba, rolled my pickup. Ended back up on the tires. Because I had a cap which extended over the cab, the roof didn't get damaged. All I messed up was the windshield and driver's side mirror. No body damage at all. Truly amazing.
Funny part was, the cap came off and all the fixtures and finishing material, for 6 houses, was sitting in the upside down cap. Loaded everything in the back, drove off and knocked off the houses.
Didn't break 1 fixture glass. That blew me away, as the trucking company broke 4 when they delivered to my shop.( on pavement)

· Registered
225 Posts
Id say the truck is done.
Nah! That's just the REAL work truck. You don't have to care how you use it.

I had a '62 Pontiac that had a perfect 3 ft diameter cylindrical impression in the right rear passenger door when I bought it! (for $100) (telephone pole?) I painted BASH! across the door. I drove it to college for at least a year. After I replaced it, I used it for a tractor & toolbox while I was building my first house.

My son's first vehicle was the 1964 F-150 that I learned to drive in. He rolled it once and all his buddies turned it back over. He was still driving it some weeks or months later when he rolled it again! What's left of it is one of my trailers now.

· Registered
Unemployed
4,957 Posts
Glad you walked away.
I rolled one on the side one time in slow motion. I always tell people to hit the deer don’t avoid them you can do more damage.
One time I was on a back road not going real fast and a deer was in the middle of the road so I just went around it. As I did that two more jumped out of the woods and I reacted and cut the wheel hard. Truck fishtailed and back corner hit a tree, and stopped. Then when fully stopped it rolled on the side just like the old guy on laugh-in. What happened was the diamond plate bumper hooked the tree and stopped forward motion but caused the truck to pivot, when it unhooked it rolled on the side in slow motion.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm all about the beaters. My $350 93 sunbird blew the heater core one day, so when winter came I bolted one from the junkyard to the passenger floor, made new holes in the firewall for the hoses and ran a 4" aluminum dryer flex vent across the windshield. Poked it full of holes with a pen and got another year out of it. I had an old cr125 I would put "in" the trunk to go out riding with some friends. In 3 years and 80000km, 6 trips Calgary to Winnipeg and back plus the daily commute to work I never changed or added oil. It never let me down. Hands down the best car ever.

The Suzuki may very well live again. I just had it safetied the week before and I'd really like to get my 2 years out of it. If I can shake the head cold I've got and the weather cooperates, I may try and get it started this weekend.
Nothing some zip ties and wafer screws can't fix. 😀 I can't say I've ever treated it kindly. It gets oil top ups instead of changes, and runs a quart low most of the time.

· Registered
6,824 Posts
Glad your ok. That’s whats important.

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC I had a great uncle (or whatever he was) who would only drive around in buicks. My mom asked him once why he liked them so much, and he told her one time he was driving alone back from Texas flying down the highway, and a cow walked on to the road before he could swerve and brake. He said he turned that cow into a hamburger and spun around all over the place.

I guess once he got his bearings and calmed down enough, he put the keys back into the Buick and it started right back up. And he kept driving all the way back to Arizona. lol

I never could tell off that was a true story or not but he stuck to it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts