Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a call today to come and check out things at an incident that happened on one of our job sites today. To be absolutley clear.......we don't have guys starting the demo work until Monday and nobody was supposed to be working there today. The drywaller carpenters for the job decided to fill in their afternoon on this site and went in to stand a couple of steel stud walls.

They said they were shooting pins into the building steel to attach the walls and they think they hit a cable.:rolleyes:

I did some further investigating and found this was a 600 volt cable which had no real O/C protection. The cable was bolted right to the main bus in the 600 volt distribution panel. The panel was fused at 200 amps so I guess it couldn't draw more than that.......except those fuses never blew.....this thing was still live when I got there.

I cant find the pic of those bolted to the mains on my phone right now but I have others of the previous hack work. I removed them from the main bus before I did anything on them

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look close at picture 2 and 3 you can see where there extra holes in the bus......that's where they had mechanical lugs bolted right to the bus bars.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just laid in the purlins Rollie.....?:001_huh:~CS~
Yep just laying in the purlins....no straps....no protection.....nothing.

Where did the other end of this cable go?
It ran from the panel in the pics to an old 600V to 120/208Y transformer. Not sure what the tranny was for......we are starting the job on Monday.:laughing:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did the other end of this cable go?
Yeah....teck. Which is allowed to be run in the building steel but it must be strapped............it wasn't:no:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a bunch of hack work, probably by the maintenance crew around the building. It was a manufacturing facility for video lottery terminals and the new owners are putting in a large millwork shop. We will be doing all the electrical on it soon.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it just me or does that breaker look a bit out of place?

Nahhhh............its just you. Notice how they fed it from the 90A breaker right above it. No cover on the panel either when I went there. Just a piece of cardboard taped over the front of it:laughing:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Rollie73 said:
Just a bunch of hack work, probably by the maintenance crew around the building. It was a manufacturing facility for video lottery terminals and the new owners are putting in a large millwork shop. We will be doing all the electrical on it soon.
Ugh I hate working in millwork buildings. At least it won't be running production while you're in there

·
Conservitum Americum
8,963 Posts
Nahhhh............its just you. Notice how they fed it from the 90A breaker right above it. No cover on the panel either when I went there. Just a piece of cardboard taped over the front of it:laughing:
Cardboard is non conductive, :blink: what's the problem? :whistling2: :no:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts