Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy wants me to wire a car lift and just use or reuse stuff that is laying around or used to go to this or that insists that I must only use what is there. So I finally give him a dirt cheap price $150 just to see what he would say and he says ?I guess were not on the right page". "I thought we could work something out" and ends the call. LOL what a joke. I got the idea that he wanted it done for nothing and even that would be out of his price range and I was right.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Call him back, tell him to go to Home Despot and the experts there will tell him everything he'll need to know to do it himself. :thumbsup:

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I was thinking give it some time, call him back, pretend to be a customer looking for an auto repair, tell him you will supply a pile of random junk yard parts and if see if he will work things out.

·
cog
5,292 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa...... Everyone's a potential future customer. Send him a complimentary bowl of c0cks with your business card tucked in. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He told me he could do it himself but just wanted to give me some work. He had a line of bull and stories a mile long just about hung up on him. Also said it should only take an hour with the parts he has and he only makes 50 bucks an hour so that's what I figure is all he wanted to give me to wire it. He was really pissed when I told him 150.:laughing:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Oh there will be more phone calls like that in the future.

Tell the next guy if he brings it all to you, you'll do the work at your garage for $50/hr and it'll take a few days.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...He was really pissed when I told him 150.:laughing:
I might've been tempted to go totally the other direction and completely floor him "Yeah, normally it'd be about $23,500 but I if you're supply the parts, I can probably do it for $19,000 even."

There's a reason I don't run a business. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get them all the time sometimes they are much more off the wall than this. Funny thing is sometimes they come back and I get the job at a much higher price because some calling around brought them back to reality of what work actually costs. We charge fair prices and still make a really great profit between our material markup and labour charge.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I get them all the time sometimes they are much more off the wall than this. Funny thing is sometimes they come back and I get the job at a much higher price because some calling around brought them back to reality of what work actually costs. We charge fair prices and still make a really great profit between our material markup and labour charge.
I call that the 5 stages of sticker shock

denial ~ tire kickers who have no clue

anger ~ irritating tire kickers who vent

depression ~ tire kickers who start to realize a going rate actually exists for just about every commodity or service

bargaining ~ more educated tire kickers

acceptance ~ original clueless tire kicker calling us back

~CS~

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
people don't respect the trades

I was approached in the Home Repot parking lot today by a guy asking about wiring a fan on a porch.

Asked me if I would come wire it for $20. I told him I wouldn't waste my time. He got all offended and wanted to know why I wouldn't come make $20 for 20 mins.

I just drove away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts