Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my 1st post on this helpful forum, I'm from India. I want to do my own electrical work, like installing lights, lamps, fans, fuses, etc but I don't know anything about electrical work or electricity.

I don't know if we have AC or DC in India. When installing new lights, etc, do I have to turn off the main? I've seen electricians here do electrical work without turning off the main. Can I do something like that? How would I know if a wire is positive, negative or ground? In case I don't turn off the main, would touching positive or negative or ground wires give me electric shock? Would this happen if I touch both positive and negative at the same time or one at a time?

Thanks for your help.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,467 Posts
Hi,

This is my 1st post on this helpful forum, I'm from India. I want to do my own electrical work, like installing lights, lamps, fans, fuses, etc but I don't know anything about electrical work or electricity.

I don't know if we have AC or DC in India. When installing new lights, etc, do I have to turn off the main? I've seen electricians here do electrical work without turning off the main. Can I do something like that? How would I know if a wire is positive, negative or ground? In case I don't turn off the main, would touching positive or negative or ground wires give me electric shock? Would this happen if I touch both positive and negative at the same time or one at a time?

Thanks for your help.

You obviously missed the part during sign up that said ELECTRICAL PROFESSIONALS ONLY!

I think you need to find your way to: www.diychatroom.com

But I do agree that electricity will kill you and or burn down your house or both.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,614 Posts
I’m the same way.

I want to do my own electrician work and avoid benign shocked.

·
Administrator
EC
22,589 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.