Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a job that the homeowner has unrealistic time lines for work performance. Has caused me lots of defects by insisting inspections before work completed. The work as described is not the work that needed to be done. How can I cancel my permit and walk away.

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
I'd say you can walk anytime you want, as long as you're paid for what you've done so far.

As for letting the customer do the 'driving' on any job, that's on you. If a customer insists on an inspection before work is completed, tell them how the process works, and if that doesn't work, then walk.

Registered
That sucks dude!!! Sorry to hear.
How much longer do you have left on the job?

Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
Hand them change orders with prices attached. It鈥檚 costing you money. Have them pay for their decisions.

I鈥檓 usually very flexible. As long as it doesn鈥檛 jeopardize safety or quality or significantly increase anything I let it go. But at some point you have to either cut them off or charge for nonsense.

If you have a salesman or sales manager, let them hammer the customer with charges. Play good cop/bad cop. Usually they back off. If they don鈥檛 you make extra profits because nobody loses money on change order charges.

Administrator
Retired EC
I am in a job that the homeowner has unrealistic time lines for work performance. Has caused me lots of defects by insisting inspections before work completed. The work as described is not the work that needed to be done. How can I cancel my permit and walk away.
IMO, I would talk to the guy and explain the situation. If he is still being an ass tell him you are going to leave the job. Make sure your name is off the permit if you do leave,.

Estwing magic
One of my favourite expressions is 鈥渢he inspector is my boss鈥. Difficult customers are part of being in business. You need to assert your authority in a friendly way right from the beginning. If the customer continues to be obstinate, make the inspector the bad guy. On rare occasions, I have asked the inspector to give me a red sticker to prove a point with the customer.

The only time I have walked from a job is for late payment. I am returning to a job this month after the guy ran out of money two years ago. He is now prepaying for completion. I don鈥檛 want the reputation of being the guy who walks off a job even if the customer is an ass.

Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
Walking off a job can have legal ramifications. And also sometimes an opening into the local licensing authority to review your license status on behalf of the public as it were. Tread forcefully but carefully as well. If you are bonded , get on the phone with the bonding agents prior to any rush move.

Hackenschmidt
I am betting that the only way the customer was able to bully the contractor was because the contractor did too much on credit and now the guy's threatening to withhold payment unless the contractor does as he says. It's a shitty situation, the main thing is to learn, make contracts with solid scope of work, terms and conditions, and payment schedule, so you don't find yourself over-extended. Then when the customer pushes you can push back and walk without breaching your contract and maybe even take legal action for nonpayment.

At least that's the remedy in the US, in Canada it might be possible to report him to the cheerfulness commission for unCanadian behavior.

Registered
Power distribution and controls
Never a good thing to just walk away does a lot of damage to your reputation. Damage that can never be recovered. People never remember the good.

Several responses have given you ideas on how to handle this customer. You are the professional, they are the bank.

I used to box houses and demand the owners walk the home with me. Most could not visualize the competed spaces with out being there. I allowed them to move anything they wanted to where they wanted. Additional boxes were at bid rate. After I ran wire it was a $125 to move anything. Solved a lot of problems.

Is your customer concerned with your work for some perceived reason? Or did they see you do something? Or just a control freak?
It is up to you to establish boundaries and the flow of work. Did you make the mistake of allowing the customer to call for an inspection for you?

Do not give up, have a honest and frank discussion with the customer and reestablish the boundaries. It may not be an easy conversation. You need to explain to them that getting in the way is going to cost them money. Hand them a detailed bill. No changes with out a signed change order. Sometimes it has to be by the book

Registered
Electrician
Your in CEC thread, I'm not familiar w/ Canadian Enforcement procedures.

But if you were in Lower 48, can tell you of an instance similar. *Seeing in the above that your name, appears on the permit..

*I was on a project years ago where the "prime directive" (general contractor) starting doing the same, calling in for electrical inspections, to fit his own project schedule.
* So we had our Code Enforcement have a conversation w/the General Contractor, explaining to him, that his name does not appear on the permit. So don't call their office & schedule another Electrical Inspection.

*Talk to your Code Enforcement Office, maybe they can assist you.

Registered
Electrical Contractor
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but here I can make my work safe, have it inspected and closed. I haven't had to do that yet but I have cleaned up a few jobs after others.

Reactions: WannabeTesla

Registered
Electrician
excuse me ? It's y'all that have the accent :p
You know, when I got up here to Washington (with me southern accent) having a female dentist inform me "well we don't have accents up here in Washington." .. And they don't, not @ all..

DGFVT
Easy solution for y鈥檃ll. When the inspector shows up tell him/ her the electrical is not ready for inspection, what鈥檚 you telephone number and I will call when it is ready.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd say you can walk anytime you want, as long as you're paid for what you've done so far.

As for letting the customer do the 'driving' on any job, that's on you. If a customer insists on an inspection before work is completed, tell them how the process works, and if that doesn't work, then walk.
The customer has now got his own permit and mine in cancelled along with payment.

Registered
From now on, tell the homeowner there is one rough, and one final. Surprised that the AHJ doesn't charge for extra inspections.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts