Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading up on local 353 and I found out it's one of the hardest locals to get into as there are literally thousands of people in every intake, and only 100 - 200 get accepted. I want to have a grasp of what I will be challenged with during the aptitude test, by finding out what you guys had to deal with in your locals or if you are in local 353, what what kind of questions did you face?

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,670 Posts
Basic algebra and math are the parts of entrance tests most guys have problems with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When i did it two years ago. It had math and algebra questions. Also questions about drywall,framing,mechanic, electrical and tools, screws, box folding, pulley, gears. It's not something you can study for, it's either you know it or don't. Some of the question i remember are what's the actual size of a 2 x 4, What motor does a dryer have? and what # screw are bigger #8 or #6 (it had a picture of a 3inch #6 screw and a 2 inch #8 screw, so it messes with you if you try to do a smart guess.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ill be trying to get in that union by working for a non-union company in the process of being organized. Having to go through the JAC will be like starting over for me as I'm halfway through my apprenticeship.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,190 Posts
Ill be trying to get in that union by working for a non-union company in the process of being organized. Having to go through the JAC will be like starting over for me as I'm halfway through my apprenticeship.
I would be crossing my fingers they do organize your shop.
Maybe you will not have to start all over again?
Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Union rep.was at our site the other day and there doing another intake soon. He told me the date but can't remember.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got on with the local 343, we had a standardized test from the njatc. Covered algebra and reading comprehension. About 35 questions each, timed test. the test may vary from union to union though. Also the "passing" score was 4 out of a possible 9, which to me says you can get over half of them wrong... I was a little worried about the math part of it since I haven't used much algebra for around ten years in middle school, but it really wasnt that bad. Just remember your order of operations and you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got on with the local 343, we had a standardized test from the njatc. Covered algebra and reading comprehension. About 35 questions each, timed test. the test may vary from union to union though. Also the "passing" score was 4 out of a possible 9, which to me says you can get over half of them wrong... I was a little worried about the math part of it since I haven't used much algebra for around ten years in middle school, but it really wasnt that bad. Just remember your order of operations and you should be fine.

They never did let me know my score, just that I did good enough to get an interview.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts