Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to get into the electrician field and it was recommended to me to go through the IBEW here where I live (Jonesboro, AR). As I was looking over the requirements to get into the IBEW, I noticed high school algebra. I didn't take algebra in high school. I have been out of school since 1996. I took some algebra in college but never finished the semester, but I did very well in algebra so I know I can do it.

Will this keep from getting a chance with the IBEW? Is there any way around this or any alternatives?

I appreciate any advice. I am looking for a career change and I've had a little experience with electronics and enjoyed it very much.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Well you could call them and ask...

The option that you most likely will have is to take an algebra course at a community college. They most likely won't waive the algebra requirement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I sent them an e-mail yesterday but have not heard back yet. I am going up there on Tuesday to fill out an application (I work second shift and watch my son in the morning so I don't have much free time) and will ask them then. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this issue.

Thanks for responding. I apologize if this should have been in the introduction forum.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
16,524 Posts
It may not hurt you as they are going to test you anyway before they bring you on board. Let them know that you did not take algebra in high school, but that you are proficient in algebra. Then study your ass off before the test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

I called them today and there is an adult education center here that I can take some algebra courses from that they said would work so I'm going to do that and hopefully I can get my foot in the door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well..

What if you were an idiot in high school, didn't even give your school work 20% effort, passed with a D in algebra AND advanced algebra , but made an A in geometry?

I can do math effortlessly but I did NOT score a C in algebra, mostly because I was a stupid teenager, what are my options?

·
Registered
31,187 Posts
Hit the local community college and take a few math courses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts