Electrician Talk banner

IBEW Drug Policies question

78K views 57 replies 28 participants last post by  cuba_pete 
#1 ·
I'm in California, with my local union being 302. Just wondering if they allow medical marijuana patients into the wireman apprenticeship program. It would be much appreciated if anyone knows. Thanks!

#2 ·
I can't answer for your exact state, local and policies, but I am in local 73. Spokane, WA. We had a discussion the other day about this. Even though marijuana has be LEGALIZED in WA state, I still cannot smoke it. It is in our contract that we sign. As far as medical goes, I believe it is the same thing. I believe this is MAINLY because there is no way to test if you are CURRENTLY under the influence. If they give you a UA, it will go back several days/weeks depending on the person, frequency of use, etc.

When there is a way to test if you are under the influence at the time, then they may work it into our contract. If you were to show up to work and have an accident or get a random and you fail the test, as far as they are concerned you ARE under the influence. I know CA is a little more accepting of marijuana but it is LEGAL (on a state level, only of course) here and we still can't.

Personally I think it is pretty stupid. I would MUCH rather have someone who took a few hits of MJ last night than a person who had too much to drink the night before operate/work for me. That being said, it is not worth losing my career over and therefore I choose not to smoke. There are ways of getting around passing a test, but I'll let you google for that advice.

#7 ·
I'll tell you this right now: what does 302 have? what is their bread and butter? think about it.... oil refineries, 3 medium sized ones and a large one. These facilities represent a major source of employment in 302. If you ever test positive for THC by a refinery (DISA) you can forget about working at ANY oil refinery for at least a decade. If you turn out and wanna work at Valero in Texas in 2022 you're out of luck.

The union doesn't have an inherent interest in its membership being drug free. Union leadership is subject to popular vote and who would want someone to tell you how to live your life? Drug-free policies (don't know about 302) are mainly in place to say that the membership is drug-free and is contracted out to a third party for enforcement. Some individual employers and job site want a drug free workforce. As an apprentice you have no choice whether you get sent to a drug-free or no-test job site. There isn't a whole lot going on in 302 except chevron and I'd bet money they'd test over there -- pre-employment and perhaps once-a-month thereafter for "randoms".

heres the link for that locals policies
http://ibewlu302.unionactive.com/docs/contracts/Inside_CBA_2012_2014.pdf

#9 ·
At the orientation class we were told that the drug test we took to get into the program was the last we would take for the IBEW. Any other drug tests we might take would be a condition of the contract with the EC. Also, that not all EC's will require a test. Furthermore in the event of an accident we should expect a test as it's SOP for most companies.

No mention was made of medicinal use nor were any questions about it asked by any of the apprentices. My guess would be that if we had to take a drug test to get into the program that no use is permitted without exception.

#12 ·
At the orientation class we were told that the drug test we took to get into the program was the last we would take for the IBEW. Any other drug tests we might take would be a condition of the contract with the EC. Also, that not all EC's will require a test. Furthermore in the event of an accident we should expect a test as it's SOP for most companies. ...
Are you sure? I thought that the drug testing language was made mandatory by the IO and has to be in all construction local contracts.
Ours is random and about once a year or so. Failure to go for the test or a positive result means you don't work.

#11 ·
Regardless.
We now have legal marijuana in the eyes of two states and maybe more.
Medical marijuana with all its faults are the sole reason these new laws were passed.

I am certain these two new laws are going to have consequence in other states.
Especially states nearby CO and WA.

#17 · (Edited)
In 332, jobs are posted as " drug free" - or not. Most are.

A drug free card, issued every two or three years is required to take a drug free call. The test is paid for by the local. If a drug free call will require additional testing by the customer, that is stated as well.

Any idiot with half a brain will just clean out 30-40 days before his card expires.

I believe apprentices are tested within 30 days of acceptance into the program, again in or following the third year, but not sure if again before turning out.

A medical card holds no weight whatsoever, it is superseded by the collective bargaining agreement. Never going to get the contractors to give in on that one.

#18 ·
No matter what new laws come into effect, we in the IBEW have agreed to extend a no drug policy to the contractors. We all know this when we take a referral.I do not drink or do drugs but I think our current situation is wrong when workers from the laymen to the CEO's go to lunch and have a beer or a few cocktails and then return to work but if you fail a urine test for pot (which can stay in your system for up to 30 days) you get fired.
These are our said rules that we all know we must live and work with. Now if you feel strong enough to act, please campaign through the right channels and do not make the mistake of thinking your California medical marijuana card will save your job.

#20 · (Edited)
John, you and I will be composting in the ground, or our ashes long-since dissolved, before what you stated occurs. The general public, not to mention contractors and general contractors would, on the whole, recoil at the thought of
even allowing a toasted electrician to work on their electrical system. Right or wrong is irrelevant , it is simply a matter of perception, and I highly doubt that you or I will ever see any radical changes. If anything, there will always be exemptions for certain trades or professions.

Let the sheet rockers make poor cuts, the tapers make a horrible joint, who gives a ****? Our trade will always be thought more critical.

#27 ·
John, you and I will be composting in the ground, or our ashes long-since dissolved, before what you stated occurs.
I hope you are wrong. But I never thought I would see legal marijuana in my lifetime.
Now we have, what 14 medical marijuana states and two legal states. I would have never thought this would be possible in this country.

One stroke of a Presidential pen can really get this rolling. Marijuana is now classified the same as heroin and cocaine. Class 1 narcotics with no medical use.
Remove pot from that class, and it puts it in class two (2) which is medically accepted similar to narcotic analgesics. Then no one loses a job over a failed pot test.

Then even the most conservative, closed minded doctors will be able to prescribe marijuana.
The most conservative doctor cannot resist the perks from pharma.
This is when marijuana starts getting a second look.
Medical marijuana studies have been on the back burner for many years. (thanks to Ronald Reagan).
Now with a more sensible man in the white house, we very well might see that pen stroke before he leaves office.
We can only hope he comes out for marijuana as he did for gay marriage.

441 and I believe 11 has a zero tolerance policy with random testing. Positive test is mandatory rehab.
I love that one. $100,000, 30 day rehab in Malibu for a failed marijuana drug test. How silly can we get. Its done every single day. Many times over in the US.
And I do know that all rehabs are not 100k with 5 star quality amenities..
This is one very good reason they want to keep it illegal.
Cops, lawyers, judges and the medical community rely on illegal drugs to keep the money flowing.
This is one reason I am for the complete legalization of all drugs.
Thats right. ALL DRUGS.
Run these folks right out of a jobs.

#28 ·
John, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

When I was a little stoner, smoking 5-7 times per day, I knew my decision making was not the best. And that was with the low grade smoke available in the 70's. The ****e they have now is more powerful by several factors of ten, I would venture to guess. I would not want to work with someone who is not at full capacity, or asleep at the wheel at 7:00 in the morning. Let those guys hang sheetrock.

I can return to my slothful ways, if I so desire, in retirement in ten years. For now, I play by the rules, fair or not, loose little sleep worrying about the topic.

#34 ·
I agree with you more than you think.
I was never a 5-7 day smoker even when I was in my teens. And I never ever condone being high at work.
The work place is off limits and I agree.
What happens in someones home or private life is their business.
I don't want to work with people that are drunk or stoned either.
But I will not interfere with their right to privacy.
What they do on their own time, that does not effect ones work is fine with me.

You are correct about strength. I know personally how good it is now.
One puff stuff.

Being a supporter of marijuana, I always look for a chance to give a shout out for pot.

#33 ·
Hey, Bipolar Boy, what is it today? Love your job? Hate your job? Gonna be a contractor in a minute? Working? Sitting home?

Feel free to come into the Union section to take the odd pot-shot, now and then, we can take it. It's not difficult to when you work hard, and are busy, to fend off the darts from the peanut gallery. Since we are such slackers, don't let the cat out of the bag, all the largest customers in the Bay Area, currently keeping us snowed under with work, might find out.

Now, traipse on over to Oaksterdam, why don't you, and register for class? I heard the student interns are unionized, your golden opportunity.....:laughing:

#39 ·
its illegality is irrelevant because the actual reason for it being illegal is the fact that its a renewable resource that can be used to make oil (gasoline), clothes, shoes, plastics, and plenty of other useful things which would make it hard for major corporations to have a monopoly on those things.. And theres no actually physical addiction to marijuana, if theres an addiction to it at all its a mental addiction caused by routines and repetition. dont be fooled by its illegality, marijuana has numerous positive effects, has no addicitve substances in them, and are far worse than cigarettes (which are actually legal)

I guess the studies are true LOL

Casual pot smoking causes brain damage scientific study

#38 ·
its illegality is irrelevant because the actual reason for it being illegal is the fact that its a renewable resource that can be used to make oil (gasoline), clothes, shoes, plastics, and plenty of other useful things which would make it hard for major corporations to have a monopoly on those things.. And theres no actually physical addiction to marijuana, if theres an addiction to it at all its a mental addiction caused by routines and repetition. dont be fooled by its illegality, marijuana has numerous positive effects, has no addicitve substances in them, and are far worse than cigarettes (which are actually legal)

#42 ·
thats just you making an assumption. completely ignoring the facts i just gave you. hemp, which comes from the male cannabis plant, can be manipulated through chemical processes to make those things. the female cannabis plant is what gives you the actual buds that contain thc and cannabinoids which are what get you high and have the positive medical uses. dont just make assumptions and look down on people that dont deserve to be looked down upon just because "you think its bad" when you dont even really know what youre talking about

#43 ·
Only a stoner would call bran damage an "adaptation" LOL,

It does solve the age old question: Do people become addicted to marijuana because they are brain damaged or does the addiction cause the brain damage?

Before we get too far off topic, McDonald's doesn't drug test. It's probably a better vocational choice for someone committed to smoking an illegal drug. If you are going to be a pothead, working with dangerous things like electricity is not a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.