Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off this forum has been very helpful in this whole application process. So thank you all. I have my final interview in 2 weeks. What are some major tips or advice you guys can give for the final committee interview? I've been researching questions (I have alot) and tweaking the answers and practicing the answering process. I know the basic things like keeping a positive attitude, smiling, body language etc. How long should the answers be for these interview questions. The way im trying to approach the answers is: give my overall opinion about the topic, relate it to the job site, relate it to my current job, and giving an example. I want this bad and im trying to do everything I can to make this happen. If anyone can post any curve ball questions they had and how they answered it it would help alot! I am dedicated to make this career my path. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
25 Posts
.......I read a couple of your post. I think the IBEW would be lucky to get you. I came from an area where the union was not replied upon for jobs, school, apprenticeship, etc. and those places are readily available to you.
I like the IBEW,
Just be your self. Don't put on a show...But, you should be mechanically inclined.
..............I don't know your situation. But if you're mechanically inclined the IBEW should grab you up.
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Have you ever heard that ? You sound like a guy I would like on my team. I'm not union. Plenty of non union guys would love to have you. As I said , I'm not from the great white north. But if you ever go south, they're plenty of non union opportunities.
Their are plenty of apprentice programs that don't require you to belong to a union.
That still means you'll have to do a lot of work to get you to the "promise land" as we all had to pay our dues. Be it to the union or not.
Good Luck - from one generation to the next...

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
171 Posts
I detest interviews, went to one and never heard back. I found out from a friend that I had said something that pissed the operations manager off. Darn if I could think what I said. I wanted the job. After the fact nothing you can do. Decided not to get my friend involved so I told him I did not want to know what it was. Friend was more important than a job I had mucked up.

Be rested, not to much caffeine, I would have breakfast as it calms me down. Wear comfortable and appropriate clothes, like long sleeves and work boots. I did have one job that asked during the interview when could I start, immediately was my response. They took me up and I got my first days of work right then. Arrive no more than 30 minutes ahead of the appointed time.
Ok to sit in your truck and wait. Down the middle of the road, not forceful not timid.

The hardest questions I have ever fielded were about stuff I had not a clue. If that happens demonstrate that you know the chain of command to get the answer you need. Stay calm as much as you can do not fidget.

Know the responsibilities of the position you want. Know the minimum tool package you need, and if they ask, be honest if your going to need a pay check to complete the package. Not two pay checks. As you work with the tools you will change some of them anyway.
I will always take anyone's else's water pump pliers over Klein. Just do not like the feel in my hands of the Klein.

I wish you well, as much interest as you have shown they would be fools not to take you.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,722 Posts
Here you go.
1. Relax it shows stress don't get to you.
2. Don't try to BS them, they will know.
3. If you don't know something say so, but say you are good at researching and you would rather find the correct answer than guess when dealing with electric.
4. Make sure you get in the word safety but don't overdo this one, it could work both ways.
5. Let them know you want this as a carrier not just a job.

Good Luck
Cowboy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.......I read a couple of your post. I think the IBEW would be lucky to get you. I came from an area where the union was not replied upon for jobs, school, apprenticeship, etc. and those places are readily available to you.
I like the IBEW,
Just be your self. Don't put on a show...But, you should be mechanically inclined.
..............I don't know your situation. But if you're mechanically inclined the IBEW should grab you up.
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Have you ever heard that ? You sound like a guy I would like on my team. I'm not union. Plenty of non union guys would love to have you. As I said , I'm not from the great white north. But if you ever go south, they're plenty of non union opportunities.
Their are plenty of apprentice programs that don't require you to belong to a union.
That still means you'll have to do a lot of work to get you to the "promise land" as we all had to pay our dues. Be it to the union or not.
Good Luck - from one generation to the next...
I appreciate that. It means alot. I would say Im decently mechanically inclined but im no expert with tools. I've worked on my cars. Changed out spark plugs, the exhaust etc in the past. I would say im fairly handy. I've built things like stands and tables. When I was younger I used to play around with these little battery motors and build little cars and stuff. Thank you I really hope I get this!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I detest interviews, went to one and never heard back. I found out from a friend that I had said something that pissed the operations manager off. Darn if I could think what I said. I wanted the job. After the fact nothing you can do. Decided not to get my friend involved so I told him I did not want to know what it was. Friend was more important than a job I had mucked up.

Be rested, not to much caffeine, I would have breakfast as it calms me down. Wear comfortable and appropriate clothes, like long sleeves and work boots. I did have one job that asked during the interview when could I start, immediately was my response. They took me up and I got my first days of work right then. Arrive no more than 30 minutes ahead of the appointed time.
Ok to sit in your truck and wait. Down the middle of the road, not forceful not timid.

The hardest questions I have ever fielded were about stuff I had not a clue. If that happens demonstrate that you know the chain of command to get the answer you need. Stay calm as much as you can do not fidget.

Know the responsibilities of the position you want. Know the minimum tool package you need, and if they ask, be honest if your going to need a pay check to complete the package. Not two pay checks. As you work with the tools you will change some of them anyway.
I will always take anyone's else's water pump pliers over Klein. Just do not like the feel in my hands of the Klein.

I wish you well, as much interest as you have shown they would be fools not to take you.
Thank you for the reinforcing words! Noted about the things you've said. I hope I do well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go.
1. Relax it shows stress don't get to you.
2. Don't try to BS them, they will know.
3. If you don't know something say so, but say you are good at researching and you would rather find the correct answer than guess when dealing with electric.
4. Make sure you get in the word safety but don't overdo this one, it could work both ways.
5. Let them know you want this as a carrier not just a job.

Good Luck
Cowboy
Number 3 is a very good one. I will add that to my answers. Thanks for the tips!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts