Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, guys, my interview is real close. Any tips for impressing electricians in Texas? My shirt and tie ironed and my hair cut nice and conservatively. I have Experience as an EMT, so I plan to talk up my First Aid skills, and I currently work for the cable company at the call center, so I plan to talk up my customer service skills.

Any tips?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ok, guys, my interview is real close. Any tips for impressing electricians in Texas? My shirt and tie ironed and my hair cut nice and conservatively. I have Experience as an EMT, so I plan to talk up my First Aid skills, and I currently work for the cable company at the call center, so I plan to talk up my customer service skills.

Any tips?
Big tip, Texas interview? Lose the Saints avatar:censored:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a fullblood *******, and my last name makes it hard to hide that fact! hahaha But my shirt is blue, and my tie is Blue, white, and gold!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I botched it in 2 places. I was 5 minutes early, but still the 2nd to last one there, which means I was late, and they Implied that pretty clearly. The last gay was WAY late, though.

Second, I mentioned PLCs and 3D printers, with made them remind me this is an ELECTRICIANS job, not an ELECTRONICS job. I was talking about the future, the tons of directions these skills could take me, but I didn't articulate that well enough.

They did thank me for being the only guy with a tie, so that count for something, right?

Other than that, I feel good. Only 7 interviewees, and there is a lot of growth in my are area, and the Union covers contractors in 5 counties.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well if they implied you were late then that may hurt a bit. It's often a good idea to show up for such things 15-20 minutes early. You seemed to run off topic there some so that could count against you as well. You may have been thinking forward towards the future but really I think they were looking for answers regarding the present. Being best dressed though is always a plus. I don't have my interview till tomorrow morning but I'll see how it goes. My biggest problem is that I get nervous during such things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. I'm going to be hitting the math tutorials to make up for it, if I did place low. Try to ace the test.

Good luck with your interview! It's just typical interview questions, thrown at you from 8 different people.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I showed up to my interview an hour early. As i was waiting with about 30 other kids dressed in shirts and ties a guy came out of the interview room and said "who has electrical experience here?" Me and ONE other person raised our hands. ( I went to electrical tech school and had 2 years experience). I had a great interview. They were telling me I was exactly what they were looking for .... 2 months later I got a letter saying I didnt get in. Screw them.
I guess to get in you have to know the right people, and know nothing about electrical.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I showed up to my interview an hour early. As i was waiting with about 30 other in shirts and ties a guy came out of the interview room and said "who has electrical experience here?" Me and ONE other person raised our hands. ( I went to electrical tech school and had 2 years experience). I had a great interview. They were telling me I was exactly what they were looking for .... 2 months later I got a letter saying I didnt get in. Screw them.
I guess to get in you have to know the right people, and know nothing about electrical.
That sucks, dude, sorry to hear thar. Do you have any theories on what happened? Maybe the felt you were overqualified? Or bombed the test? Bad reference from a former employer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I had my interview this morning and I don't think I could have done any better than I did. It went okish. They asked me about my current job and what I do there. They then asked me about my education and why I chose my major and how I went from being a Construction Engineering major to applying for an apprenticeship with them. They then asked me what I knew what an electrician's work entails. Then they asked me if I've ever had any work experience in the construction industry before which I have not. After that they started talking about some program they had that would get me some construction related experience and asked me if I've heard of it before. (how they've expected me to hear of a program when no reading material about it exists is beyond me. The office didn't even have a leaflet.) It kinda went meh. Oh well, I'll guess I'll wait for the letter before I make any new decisions.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Cajuncurlycircuit said:
That sucks, dude, sorry to hear thar. Do you have any theories on what happened? Maybe the felt you were overqualified? Or bombed the test? Bad reference from a former employer?
I already passed the test before the interview. My theory is they already had 400 guys laid off and they didnt hire anyone. They probably just wanted the $70 application fee from all the applicants. OR i didnt know the right people.

I ended up at a much better job, so im glad they didnt take me

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Cajuncurlycircuit said:
Ok, guys, my interview is real close. Any tips for impressing electricians in Texas? My shirt and tie ironed and my hair cut nice and conservatively. I have Experience as an EMT, so I plan to talk up my First Aid skills, and I currently work for the cable company at the call center, so I plan to talk up my customer service skills. Any tips?
. Hmmmm , tips ? Get a cushion to sit on when you're laid off and on the bench , those splinters hurt , lol ! All kidding aside , I wish you the best , but I don't care who you are , what you know , or who you know , the sad reality is , if you are in today's IBEW , plan on being laid off at some point in your career . You'll be safe as an apprentice , if you pull your weight , but after that , the workload dictates how many guys sit . Some of the best electricians I've ever worked with would get let go at the end of every job , for no other reason than that was just the way it goes . The good news is , you can go wherever the work is . I'm too old for traveling , but for a young guy starting out , it could be a good way to see the country ? The economy is nowhere near back to what it used to be ( no matter what the news says ) , and it may never get back to where it was in the 90's and early 00's . At the very least , it will give you great experience and skills so someday , you may decide , you're tired of working for anyone and want to be your own boss ? Good luck !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahaha, thanks! The classroom instructor was there to facilitate, and he made it clear that we might not ALWAYS have a job! Just mean saving and spending smart when you do work!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I got my interview results in the mail today. (Wow! that was fast!) I got a 75.60/100. How good of a score is that? I'm gona try to apply to another nearby local and see if I can do better. Never hurts to broaden your options.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got my interview results in the mail today. (Wow! that was fast!) I got a 75.60/100. How good of a score is that? I'm gona try to apply to another nearby local and see if I can do better. Never hurts to broaden your options.
Not a bad idea. I'm going to hit up every local Electrician with my resume if the Union doesn't take me. Surely SOMEONE needs help around here! haha. Maybe a millwright is a good second option, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not a bad idea. I'm going to hit up every local Electrician with my resume if the Union doesn't take me. Surely SOMEONE needs help around here! haha. Maybe a millwright is a good second option, too.
Yeah, if the union doesn't take me this year I'll start applying to nonunion contractors and see if I can get a job there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, if the union doesn't take me this year I'll start applying to nonunion contractors and see if I can get a job there.
Yeah I'm 30, I feel like I'm pushing the limits already. It's a shame it took me this long to realize what I want to do with my life, but I can't just wait around another year to start this! I gotta do what I gotta do to become a wireman!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You could always try for an elevator technician. They make more than we do. There can be quite a bit of travel if you don't live in a heavily populated city.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could always try for an elevator technician. They make more than we do. There can be quite a bit of travel if o's the u don't live in a heavily populated city.
ghandy Idea. I've been looking at all kinds of electrician-esque jobs as back up plans, but one of the biggest pluses of the electricians trade is versatility. I want to learn a trade that mosts me hand at home as it is at work! It's everything I want in a career! Keeping my fingers crossed that the union agree I'm as good of a fit as I do, hahaha.

but that isn't a bad options. At the very least, a similar trade with good plan B!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good luck, i dont have a date for my interview yet, but it should be in the next few weeks.

I really hope to impress them, and be optimistic as possible. I mainly wanna join to gain as much experience as possible, but if i dont get in, its not gonna un motivate to find a job in the field.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts