Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I've always been of the opinion that if you don't attend a certain percentage of the meetings then you don't reap any of the benefits of membership nor do you get a vote when it comes time for elections or anything else like that.

It is a union.....a brotherhood (sorry sisters :laughing:) and you have to be there to do your little part as well.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I've always been of the opinion that if you don't attend a certain percentage of the meetings then you don't reap any of the benefits of membership nor do you get a vote when it comes time for elections or anything else like that.

It is a union.....a brotherhood (sorry sisters :laughing:) and you have to be there to do your little part as well.
I don't like that idea.

I see the union more as a service that I pay for, much like my accountant, lawyer, etc.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I believe attending meetings is a good practice. Stay familiar with the what is going on, and have a voice on matters that come out. Or, network with others about trying to enact changes that matter to the membership.

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
Does any of you guy know how long does it take to get in to work? I been waiting for at least 5 months and my score was 84.5. Any help is appreciate. For local 11
Lighting, call Local 11's JATC and ask, we cannot speak for them.

Up here in 332, I am told that few, if any applicants are taken with rankings below the low to mid 90's, the candidate pool is that strong.

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
Ibuzzard, there is 18 with the same score and there is 38 above my score. It's that bad or average?
Each local is different on their ranking system. More to the point, if they only take ten to twenty per year, you might be looking at applying next year.

Call that local JATC and ask them, they'll be able to give you much better info than me, or anyone else here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i refuse to go to the meetings.

95% of the **** is in regards to the a cards, not c.

If you are not a part of OUR IBEW solution then your a part of the problem. I have always attended meetings when ever I am able even while on the road. The attitude of your post is you got yours and screw the rest of us, even asking for our compassion because the said meeting is not about your said group.

·
NO high voltage here
2,438 Posts
If you are not a part of OUR IBEW solution then your a part of the problem. I have always attended meetings when ever I am able even while on the road. The attitude of your post is you got yours and screw the rest of us, even asking for our compassion because the said meeting is not about your said group.
Not really. Our local has two different contracts, as well as VDV, so you can say 3.

95% of all of the meetings is about the A card contract and work, not C card.

And on top of that, I hardly work in my own local.

So, by not attending the meetings, it hardly has any effect.

And it is the other way around. Most guys say screw the low voltage guys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not really. Our local has two different contracts, as well as VDV, so you can say 3.

95% of all of the meetings is about the A card contract and work, not C card.

And on top of that, I hardly work in my own local.

So, by not attending the meetings, it hardly has any effect.

And it is the other way around. Most guys say screw the low voltage guys.
I have traveled most of our country and have always made every effort to attend even though I had no vote nor no real voice in another's local. Having attended line. low voltage, meter readers etc meetings that you claim do not pertain to me. Where in the oath to further the cause of OUR IBEW does it specify if its not exactly your type of work then you should not even bother?

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Brother Noah said:
I have traveled most of our country and have always made every effort to attend even though I had no vote nor no real voice in another's local. Having attended line. low voltage, meter readers etc meetings that you claim do not pertain to me. Where in the oath to further the cause of OUR IBEW does it specify if its not exactly your type of work then you should not even bother?
You are just unbelievable

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.