Electrician Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
34 years old, finally applying for the apprenticeship program. I've been "stuck" in electronics for the past 11 years, but in these times I can't rely on the industry for solid work. So here I am, getting ready to take the test with a lot of high school graduates. I'm out of practice with my algebra stuff (factoring polynomials, quadratic equations, etc.) but after looking at this test, I think I'm overstudying.

After reading that practice exam and looking at some of the reading comprehension, now I'm actually more worried about poorly worded problems. (If the dishwasher was sold for $460, than the sale price was $460, I don't care what planet you come from.... now was it $1120 before 50% off, or was it NORMALLY sold for $460 and purchased on sale for $230? That kind of stuff.)

Does anyone have a link for an old exam, or a full practice exam, or something so I have a good idea what I'm really getting into? It's more of a mindgame than a brain examination, and I don't like being toyed with. Then again, that's part of life, so I guess it's a good thing...

34 years old, finally applying for the apprenticeship program. I've been "stuck" in electronics for the past 11 years, but in these times I can't rely on the industry for solid work. So here I am, getting ready to take the test with a lot of high school graduates. I'm out of practice with my algebra stuff (factoring polynomials, quadratic equations, etc.) but after looking at this test, I think I'm overstudying.

After reading that practice exam and looking at some of the reading comprehension, now I'm actually more worried about poorly worded problems. (If the dishwasher was sold for $460, than the sale price was $460, I don't care what planet you come from.... now was it $1120 before 50% off, or was it NORMALLY sold for $460 and purchased on sale for $230? That kind of stuff.)

Does anyone have a link for an old exam, or a full practice exam, or something so I have a good idea what I'm really getting into? It's more of a mindgame than a brain examination, and I don't like being toyed with. Then again, that's part of life, so I guess it's a good thing...
You're over studying.

You will not have to do any fancy math like quadratic equations, δ-ε proofs, multiple variable integrations, or eigenvalues or anything like that.

The math consists of stuff like 342.34+432=, 1/2*1/4=, easy, easy, easy math.

It's not a good sign to be critical of how the test is written "poorly". Even if you do get in you will be subject to a certain amount of mind games and hazing.

I don't mean to be negative; I do realize that many tests are written like this and it is simply part of the evaluation. Plus, what I was criticizing was more of a study guide than an actual test. My basic instinct is "give them the answer they are looking for to show that you understood the question and how to answer it properly." Or, give them what they want. I don't believe that the sample I was referring to was poorly written, either. Reading comprehension problems are just that. So I guess I'm more worried about being overly critical then, aren't I?

On that note I do apologize for my poor choice of wording. I guess I do it too! I'll be quiet now. And, TGGT: Thank you for that bit of confidence. One of my coworkers suggested that at the very least, I'm exercising my brain. Plus, my future brother-in-law, a journeyman who suggested that I take the exam, reminds me how important it is to try to ace the test. In this day and age, it's more important to try and get a good score and get an earlier interview than it is to simply pass the test and try and knock them dead in an interview. Honestly, I don't know how well I'll do in an interview. I haven't done a whole lot of construction or electrician work. My experience has been automotive and aerospace electronics.

I'm told, "It's work ethic that IBEW-NECA and NJATC are looking for, so if you put 100% into the test and 100% into the interview, you're putting 100% into the union, which shows that you'll put 100% into your work." So I figure overstudying can't really hurt.

...can it?

When I took the aptitude test over twenty five years ago, it was nothing more than an 8th grade aptitude test, plus a manual dexterity test. Pathetic, really, after studying all the algebra I'd forgotten from high school.

The reason it was so basic is that there were lawsuits alleging that the prior tougher test was culturally biased. Thus, they dumbed it down. They do not do the dexterity testing anymore either, also the result of lawsuits.

The final score given a candidate is determined by the combination of your passing test grade, and your interview grade. How the test is weighted, I cannot guess, and the examining board is not required to reveal that aspect. I am convinced that final scores are mostly determined by the interview. Don 't sweat it, you should be able to pass the test easily.

I don't mean to be negative; I do realize that many tests are written like this and it is simply part of the evaluation. Plus, what I was criticizing was more of a study guide than an actual test. My basic instinct is "give them the answer they are looking for to show that you understood the question and how to answer it properly." Or, give them what they want. I don't believe that the sample I was referring to was poorly written, either. Reading comprehension problems are just that. So I guess I'm more worried about being overly critical then, aren't I?

On that note I do apologize for my poor choice of wording. I guess I do it too! I'll be quiet now. And, TGGT: Thank you for that bit of confidence. One of my coworkers suggested that at the very least, I'm exercising my brain. Plus, my future brother-in-law, a journeyman who suggested that I take the exam, reminds me how important it is to try to ace the test. In this day and age, it's more important to try and get a good score and get an earlier interview than it is to simply pass the test and try and knock them dead in an interview. Honestly, I don't know how well I'll do in an interview. I haven't done a whole lot of construction or electrician work. My experience has been automotive and aerospace electronics.

I'm told, "It's work ethic that IBEW-NECA and NJATC are looking for, so if you put 100% into the test and 100% into the interview, you're putting 100% into the union, which shows that you'll put 100% into your work." So I figure overstudying can't really hurt.

...can it?

Yeah it can. Put energy into things that matter. Save all that critical thinking for when you're going for your masters license, or engineering degree. This is neither of those.

The critical thinking aspect comes naturally. As I already demonstrated, and continue to do so, my criticism comes naturally. I can't help it... I really can't. It's actually a huge problem of mine, one that gets me in trouble when it comes to online forums and comment pages. I've probably made a ton of internet enemies. But they don't matter in my opinion.

When I'm working though, I'm completely agreeable. I just do pretty much when I'm told, unless I'm told to do something that is completely asinine or dangerous, at which point I do speak up. As far as the entrance exam goes, I'll just try and stay focused on getting it done and getting it right. One of the reasons I'm so late in applying for an apprenticeship program is that I didn't focus at all in high school. I was cocky and thought I could do it myself without studying.

Once I get through the apprenticeship, have every intention of actually applying my critical thinking towards the job and, as you suggested, my masters license AND engineering degree. I've been working for/with engineers for so long now, I know it's what I want to do myself. Anyway, off to hit the books again. Thanks for all of the input, everyone.

The test, summed up, is this: If you had to study hard to make it through high school, you'll have to study hard to pass it. Otherwise, just brush up on basic algebra and roll with it.

Some training programs absolutely do not care how well you do or not on the written test. For them it's either pass or fail. I'm certain that I got 100% on that test but that didn't give me an advantage over the guy who only got 80%. It is the interview process, employer "report cards" (forgot what they were called), and apprenticeship test scores and grades that really count

I had an "A" in College Algebra and was worried a bit as at 40 (in the Obama Economy -- Worked as a Networking Tech/ Analyst for 12 years - another 2 as an Elec. estimator (doing takeoffs mostly) -Jr. Proj. Manager after laid of from the job I had in Networking for 12 years). Been around construction my whole life and actually Electricians as a Network analyst I worked with many C card guys (though I am going for A Card). I thought I would breeze through this test but at 40 and not having any math class in 15 years ...

The interview I am not sure I would have to take as the Elec. co I work for already wants to hire me out of school.

In 1998 - most of 1999 I worked as a C Card Apprentice (never went to school or knew I had to I just knew people can got hired on right out of college) - the pay was garbage so I jumped once I found a Networking gig paying twice that. Now everyone is laying people off as I foun out a few years ago -- thankfully I still have friends in the Elec. industry.

Bringing the question -- I have 1 1/2 years experience working as a C - Card apprentice (granted back in 98/99) , 1 year experience working in an Elec. Warehouse , and 1 year experience working in estimating. Does any or all of that count toward anything in the A card apprenticeship?

I could go on as an estimator here but I want to be a Project Manager the only way ant foreman shows any project manager respect is if they have been in the field and gone through it - and know what things are like in real life. That's why I want the apprenticeship. Make me a better/good project manager and get me respect with the crew.

Took the test back in October. .the sample questions in the pamphlet is joke.. study every algebra 1 pre-test you can and go in with a positive attitude. .I tested with almost 70 people and it seemed like nobody finished the math when they called time. The reading was a breeze. I think they just want to see how you handle things under pressure. Good luck!!!

I took the test and interview

cool picture thought they said rum
I took the test and then interview recently in Reno hardest part for me was that I took the tech math class studied 439 pages and about 60 of them in the test were applicable the other hard part is my weak work history for the last 3.5 years I have been working fast food 8 years before that I was a loan processor before that I worked at a mill and oil refinery. I am 37 in line out of 58 so I just hope to get the call to start training some time in the next 6 months.
the interview is graded and they averaged the score of the test with the score of the interview. I think people can leapfrog past me that get a higher score that take the test in the future so that is what I am worried about

I took the tech math as well just to qualify to apply. .it was well worth the money. Not only will it qualify you for entry, but its a required class to take once your in so you'll have a heads up on that part!

I just got back from taking my app test... I will say, my test was far from basic algebra or "easy" algebra. The number sequences were beyond figuring out at least to me, they were not simple ones. Then it goes straight into fractional quadratic equations with square and cube roots, which seriously take at least 5 mins to do each. Then goes into graphing quadratic.

Good luck, I know ill need to when I retake the test in 6 months.

Yeah everyone seems to get blindsided by the math portion. Im sure you did better than you think. In the time they give us and difficulty of the math im willing to bet they just want to see how well we do under pressure. Everyone finished the reading before time, but when they called "stop" for the math all you heard was a crowd of underbreath swear words lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

For those who still are looking for help!

CHECK OUT MY POST IN THE OTHER FORUM:
I took the test a week ago, and the practice questions are not even close to the actual math questions on the practice test. They are Formulas where you need to break down the given formula down to it's simplest form. On my test I think there was about 3 like that and the rest was plug in play, where they give you a=5, b=4, and x=10. Don't forget the rules of multiplication. like 10r * 5r = 50r^2 ( 50r squared). Most of the question's I had was like 3(12-7r^2)(10r-5) . The practice question's is just examples of what TYPE of questions you may embark on in the test. They are harder than the examples. TIME CONSUMING, so work fast. you can do the math and figure 33 questions and 41 minutes gives you about 1.41 min/sec per Q' !!!!!
Were the questions factoring? Plugging in numbers for letters? Any graphs?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.