Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Local 134 - A Card
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen quite a few people who are inquiring about getting into the trade and had questions about the test. Although I don't start my apprenticeship until April, I figured I could make myself useful and post the study manual I received before I took my exam for some of the guys who weren't lucky enough to get one. The study manual I have includes practice in the following area's: Reading, Numerical Computation, Numerical Reasoning, Paper Folding, Problem Solving and Mechanical Comprehension.

I have scanned all 50 pages of the manual, I thought it was a pretty good refresher course because it was pretty thorough and had a bunch of practice questions and there is an actual practice test at the end that goes through all the math. The only thing was that it was a book so I had to cut all the pages down the middle. Unfortunately I don not have the time to scan every page individually (double sided pages) and put everything in order for you guys; so all the even pages are in one file and all the odd pages are in another. All the pages are numbered so I'm sure you guys can figure out the rest:thumbsup: In addition, some of the practice questions have my answers written in, but I did all the work on separate paper, so I would do the same if I was you - do yourself a favor and don't cheat off my answers (plus some of what I have written in might be wrong):laughing: so double check all your answers, pages 47-50 have all the answers...

I hope someone can find this useful...;)

Here are links to download the manual
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dzws3xy1s7t
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lkmxml

***THESE LINKS WORK AS OF 11/23, SO PLEASE TRY DOWNLOADING THEM BEFORE ASKING FOR THE STUDY GUIDE TO BE EMAILED. I WAS ONLY EMAILING THE STUDY MANUAL ORIGINALLY BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE A WEB HOST THAT WOULD CARRY THE FILE FOR ME. PLUS THE DEMAND WAS A LOT MORE THAN EXPECTED. MOST LIKELY, IF YOU ARE HAVING A PROBLEM DOWNLOADING THEM, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ONE OF YOUR COMPUTER SETTINGS. SO PLEASE, ONCE AGAIN, TRY ALL OPTIONS BEFORE ASKING FOR THE STUDY GUIDE TO BE EMAILED. IF NECESSARY, I WILL DO SO AND IF THE LINKS ARE IN FACT NOT WORKING, I WILL GET IT FIXED. THANKS.***

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for trying Chicago Guy, I think I will contact the local hall and see if they have one of these manuals. I went to my local library just now and did not find much of anything. If I can't dig up one of these I will send you an email. Congrats on your new career.

Drew

·
Registered
9 Posts
kingsmurf

Chicago . .try as I might I couldnt send you an email . . .I was in the IBEW when I was in the electric sign industry for many years . .and was for a time shop steward . . .though that local was frought with strife and eventaully closed . .ever was I an active participant in trying to get a trade school for that venue up and running

I am an working electrician now and I would certainly appreciate a copy of the IBEW study guide . .though 57 I am still learning . . .

would you be so kind as to contact me through email ...perhaps I could get a link to the file?

[email protected]

·
Local 134 - A Card
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hans, I need your email address...

Guys, please remember I can not send it to you without your email address - a lot of the guys I have already sent it to have found it useful. Either post your email address on this topic or you can private message me and I will send it to you via my email...

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
one thing to remember is you earned your way into the ibew by working and knowing this stuff without a study aid. so i hope you are cautios who you send this to. someone cheating to getting into the union who will compete or cheat against you and may take your job someday. or non union competetion who may be able to this information against the union. my local is usally pretty tite with it's study guides and information ment to train the hard working union members and not the non-union contractors who may not have a formal training program. the ibew needs to keep it's edge in training and education to keep our industry stong. you may want to check with your hall if it's ok that you are sharing that information over the internet or not. there must be a reason why this is not avaiable at the library.

Just my two cents

by the way good luck in the program 4-5 years may sound like a long time but it goes quick it's the 30 plus years to retirement that seems like it takes forever

·
Senior Moment
1,136 Posts
Chicagoguy, thanks for the info. It has been awhile since I started in the trade and wanted to see what the study materials were today as compared to 1973. I started at LU 441 and currently with 1077. Been thinking about getting into teaching and training, just don't know if I have the skills to teach.

·
Local 134 - A Card
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heavyduty73, if you take offense to me doing that, I apologize, but since being on this site a many members have helped me through the last couple of months. The study manual I shared was nothing that was given to me while in school, but instead information given (for free)to every one of the thousands of applicants who apply annually for the local I got into, to help prepare for the test. It has NOTHING to do with any kind of formal electrical training, it is more or less a refresher on things people learned in grammar school.

In fact I haven't even started school yet, not until April, but with the assistance I have received from other very helpful people on this website, I thought this was an opportunity to contribute SOMETHING to other people here since I have no formal electrical training as of yet, but I am strongly looking forward to it....

The last thing I want to do it stir things up with you guys because I know I will need some help from you guys once I actually start the program, if others recommend that I not offer to help people prepare for their exam's, I won't, but I didn't see any harm in it. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
maybe i was confused about what kind of information you were sharing so i apologize also. if it was info about the ibew and the benifits of being a member i agree share that everyone. if it was something that may give the next guy an advanatge over the next guy inline just be careful with that type of info. Think of how you would feel if were not accepted into the program because the guy in front of you only got in because he scored well on the test but is less skilled in all other ways of the trade. guess I'm not sure if it was an entrance exam or a test that will be given once in the program.one of the most important things you can learn in school is the history and importance of the ibew. the IBEW is not only your future but the future of your family, keeping it strong for future generations falls on us younger guys to continue what our retired members made for us

again good luck and welcome to ibew.

·
Local 134 - A Card
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No problem my friend, I just wanted to make sure you knew that was I was helping these guys out with was nothing more than practice for the entrance exam/test that people take in hope of getting into the IBEW. I used the same one to prepare for the test when I took it in October.

I look forward to starting school/program in April and learning as much as possible about the IBEW and what it takes to be a successful electrician.
Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chicagoguy,

My deepest thanks, pal. I went in and applied yesterday at the Local 113. My test is the 19th. I did the practice questions and was a little relieved. Not too bad. But I have not done algebra in over 20 years. Need the practice.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts