Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at job in an OLD house, with a fairly old QO panel, Pics attached.
Minimal information available without a long trip into the country to take the cover off.
Does this look like the panel where one might use, or "legally" use, a twin breaker at all?
Partly, I guess I'm wondering if given the vintage of the panel, there are any slots for the "rejection feature" (probably not).

Breaker options:
CTL (with "hook" rejection feature) - QOT1515CP - @$30
Non-CTL - QO1515C - @$85

Gas Font Technology Machine Metal

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,101 Posts
best WAG is
Non-CTL's still sold are only supposed to be used as replacements for existing Non-CTL breakers

As you can read here, SQDog has gone down hill since the frogs took over. I do not care for lawyer speak,
That small of a panel I would go for the for one each style.
Best guess save your receipt

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
best WAG is
Non-CTL's still sold are only supposed to be used as replacements for existing Non-CTL breakers

As you can read here, SQDog has gone down hill since the frogs took over. I do not care for lawyer speak,
That small of a panel I would go for the for one each style.
Best guess save your receipt
IIRC, SqD made 2 kinds of tandems, typical side by side handles, or one IFO the other using 2 full size handles so pairing with an adjacent to make a 240 or 120/240 cct was possible. I think the latter was compatible with all of their non-bolt in cans.

·
Registered
870 Posts
For the record, here’s 3 styles of SqD 20A QO twins of three different vintages.
First up the original early type, no rejection feature of any type. Labeled as QO-T, 2 Pole 120/240 VAC
Wood Rectangle Gas Font Metal

Gas Auto part Rectangle Metal Composite material

Then we have the second revision. Labeled as QO-T 2Pole. 120/240VAC

Rectangle Wood Font Electronics accessory Auto part

Wood Gas Asphalt Flooring Road surface

Then the third type. Labeled as QO-T. Two One Pole Units, 120/240 VAC. Side By Side Handles On This Type.
Rectangle Fashion accessory Composite material Metal Transparency

Gas Font Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory

If memory serves correctly, I believe there is one more style not in my collection. Same as the third one, but had the metal rejection hook.
Some one else can look up the catalog number's of the different release styles, as the all show the same type number on them.

History tidbit-“ Sq D “ name history.
First metal enclosed disconnect switch, made for the automotive plants. Embossed with a square on the door, and the letter D inside the square. DETROIT - I want the one with the square & D stamped on the lid. Back from the days when we used to make things, instead of just market them.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,876 Posts
The panel is made to accept tandems, a give away is on the schedule the dotted line in each space, it's so you can write in two separate loads if you hade a tandem breaker. Some panels on the schedule have the dotted line only in the last four spots because they are the only slots without the rejection clip.

I read that online years ago and it always seems to be true.

If that job is far away I would show up with both breakers and return the one that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you were to cut something off, I would select the bakelite portion, at least the metal hook would be able to provide some support to the anchoring rail.
But if you don’t mind burned up bus connections, the hook could work also.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,804 Posts
If you were to cut something off, I would select the bakelite portion, at least the metal hook would be able to provide some support to the anchoring rail.
But if you don’t mind burned up bus connections, the hook could work also.
the hook is designed so that the breaker bus-stabs will not reach the panel bus-bars, unless there is a slot for the hook to go into
cutting off the bakelite will not let the breaker work

at any rate the cover will hold the breaker in place with or without the hook or the bakelite

1 - 9 of 9 Posts