Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the ideal circuit breaker finders? Analog vs digital specifically. Is the digital signal worth the extra $50. I've never had much luck with circuit breaker finders in general but a few people have recommended the ideal brand.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Many good brands out there, spend the extra money if you absolutely need one.

I bought a cheap Sperry model, it works, but you have to take the panel cover off, and really work hard at it.

When it's quiet and I'm alone, I use the many little tricks out there that I'm sure all you members are aware of. ;)

The expensive ones are well worth their money, as you can use them in other applications. I am small time, so I can't justify the expense.

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I bought one of those Klein ones and I don't recommend it.. it sort of works, sometimes. That's embarrassing when you are sure its a breaker, flip it and that wasn't it. WHOOPS!

I bet the Ideal ones are at least decent.
You are running it down the panel twice, right? It needs two sweeps for the klein. That's what it says to do in the instructions. Mine never has given a false reading since I read that...

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have had a generally good experience with 2 different 61-532 analog ones. I lost the transmitter to my first one, re-bought it and used the old receiver for about a year before it started giving me weird false positives and would then stop reporting entirely, even on the mains. I switched to the new receiver and have been using it fine for over 2 years now.

I am eternally grateful on how much time they have saved me for the price, especially on remodel jobs, although overloaded neutrals can cause erratic results.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
You are running it down the panel twice, right? It needs two sweeps for the klein. That's what it says to do in the instructions. Mine never has given a false reading since I read that...
Sometimes I sweep the left side and it traces to a single breaker.. I flip it and the circuit is still on. I sweep the right side and it traces to a single breaker and I flip it and the circuit goes off.

Maybe I'm coming across circuits that are double feed or something weird? But that has happened a few times now.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
I have the Ideal. It has been about 97% accurate. You do need to do a full sweep on each side. Usually that's all that's needed. The few times that it gave a false positive, some of it was some funky wiring. A couple of times someone had used a 2-pole breaker and I don't even think of trying them.
I found one recently that used a 2-pole breaker and they had 240V going to a ceiling fan!:eek:

The fan had been that way for about 8 years. Not on all the time but must have been one tough motor!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
712 Posts
the one at work is 98% correct. the one i bought myself has worked 100% of the times ive used it. just the analogs. first thing to do is make a tail you can clip to wires to use the plug in attachment. BUT you should run all the breakers at least once.. sometimes i go twice.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sometimes I sweep the left side and it traces to a single breaker.. I flip it and the circuit is still on. I sweep the right side and it traces to a single breaker and I flip it and the circuit goes off.

Maybe I'm coming across circuits that are double feed or something weird? But that has happened a few times now.
Sweep the left side, from top to bottom, then sweep the right side, top to bottom. (Ignore the beeps for this first sweep). On your second sweep flip the first breaker that makes the receiver go off.

I theorize it's trying to find the strongest signal -- so it needs that first sweep to gauge what's going on basically.

·
Lucky to be Alive
345 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
Sometimes I sweep the left side and it traces to a single breaker.. I flip it and the circuit is still on. I sweep the right side and it traces to a single breaker and I flip it and the circuit goes off. Maybe I'm coming across circuits that are double feed or something weird? But that has happened a few times now.
You have to sweep both sides of the entire panel, ignoring any beeps you hear on this first sweep. This first sweep is called "learning the panel". Once the receiver learns the panel, sweep the second time. On the second sweep, only 1 breaker should beep, and that will be the one to turn off. If, for some reason, two breakers hit on the second sweep, then sweep a third time. You keeps sweeping until only 1 breaker hits, and it "should" happen on the second sweep, and very rarely take a third.

Once that signal from the transmitter hits the panel, it will appear on all the breakers (on that phase) in the panel. The receiver is looking for the breaker with the strongest signal. It does not know what the strongest signal is, until it measures every breaker first. That is the reason you need to learn the panel first. Then, on the second pass, it can hit on the strongest signal. Once you find that breaker, you must turn off the receiver before starting again. Turning it off resets the receiver for the next measurement.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
I have had me a greenlee (Beha) one for more years than half this forum's members have been alive. It works well to this day, but for situations where total 100% accuracy is required I still pull out my flasher relay, light bulb and socket, and my amprobe. Garren's ball bearings brah.......

·
Registered
826 Posts
Voltage Hazard said:
You have to sweep both sides of the entire panel, ignoring any beeps you hear on this first sweep. This first sweep is called "learning the panel". Once the receiver learns the panel, sweep the second time. On the second sweep, only 1 breaker should beep, and that will be the one to turn off. If, for some reason, two breakers hit on the second sweep, then sweep a third time. You keeps sweeping until only 1 breaker hits, and it "should" happen on the second sweep, and very rarely take a third. Once that signal from the transmitter hits the panel, it will appear on all the breakers (on that phase) in the panel. The receiver is looking for the breaker with the strongest signal. It does not know what the strongest signal is, until it measures every breaker first. That is the reason you need to learn the panel first. Then, on the second pass, it can hit on the strongest signal. Once you find that breaker, you must turn off the receiver before starting again. Turning it off resets the receiver for the next measurement.
I also have the Klein, works great. You definitely need to read the manual. Learning the panel is important.
Sweeping too close to the buss side of the breaker will also give false readings.

Best $50 I have spent on diagnostic tools.

·
Registered
781 Posts
We've got the Klein one as well, it works, it's not great, and it's not horrible. Like frunk was saying, sometimes it gives you the wrong breaker, it always identifies which phase it's on, so you can eliminate the other breakers pretty easily.

But after reading what everyone else is saying about it needing to "learn the panel" makes allot of sense to my false readings lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
We've got the Klein one as well, it works, it's not great, and it's not horrible. Like frunk was saying, sometimes it gives you the wrong breaker, it always identifies which phase it's on, so you can eliminate the other breakers pretty easily.

But after reading what everyone else is saying about it needing to "learn the panel" makes allot of sense to my false readings lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using electriciantalk.com mobile app
Try that trick and you won't be disappointed. I think it's also worth buying the accessory kit for the Klein as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had me a greenlee (Beha) one for more years than half this forum's members have been alive. It works well to this day, but for situations where total 100% accuracy is required I still pull out my flasher relay, light bulb and socket, and my amprobe. Garren's ball bearings brah.......
I have the same one it works great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.