Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I wanted to start a thread all about block walls and metal studs. I think it is a huge task to come up with the tricks to save labor/materials while doing these jobs. I was wondering if anyone had any good ones to share. Any tools that really help or different ways of doing things. One specific question I have is with shooting the 4 square boxes up. Do you guys use powder actuated hilti guns for the most part? has anyone tried the gas guns?

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Plasma torch and powder actuated tools. J/K on the plasma torch, I guess it would depend on the GC. I can see some jobsite nannies loosing their cookies with a plasma torch spitting out slag:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
Retired
16,542 Posts
In Florida most all dwellings are block with metal studs. It is very easy to work on them, but planning is most important. You should be involved from the first pour. Put as much conduit as possible in the slab. Stub up into exterior block walls. Exterior walls are usually furred. Stub up into interior walls too. Get a quick punch for making holes in the metal studs, for horizontal runs.
You can see now there is no need for powder actuated tools. If you come across the occasional surface mount box, use fasteners like "nail ins" or "Tapcons"

I worked for a contractor that specialized in this type of work. Material boxes were constructed to be lifted to upper floors. Inside each box was a list of everything needed for that floor slab. They prefabbed all stubs, goose necks on the ground. All boxes for slabs were ready with the connectors installed and taped up for direct pours. The gang boxes for tools were separate.

They even had a bandsaw mounted to what looked like a dolly. It was adjustable for height. You just rolled it around and cut off all stubs at finished height.

It's been many years since I did any work down there. So times and methods may have changed. But when working with block and metal there is not whole lot you can change.
I also do not see this type of construction and NM in the same sentence.

·
Registered
107 Posts
MC pulls more easily thru steel studs in one direction than the other. Get a good stud punch. I've never used gas actuated, if you do let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I wouldn't go gas actuated on anything myself. They are a PIA in my opinion. Blow out a lot. You get to huff concrete and gun powder, only matters if you're doing it a lot. Never tried the tapcons, seem like a good idea for block. Lead anchors, drop in anchors and toggle bolts work well enough in concrete also.

The main thing to do on block construction is plan. If you are going to have devices in the block walls you need to know height and location. Prep your boxes before the masons show up. Have a plan on how you are going to feed everything. Know your ceiling type so you can stub up if neccesary. IE: drop, hard, none. Make sure PVC is allowed in the blocks. Worked one job where they made you put EMT in the block.

·
Registered
30 Posts
most jobs ive done with cinder block has spec'd emt in block as opposed to pvc. it sucks to be on block watch but its a necessary evil when you cant have exposed pipe.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
most jobs ive done with cinder block has spec'd emt in block as opposed to pvc
:jester:

Do you guys use powder actuated hilti guns for the most part?
I always use screws to mount everything. 10 seconds to drill the block, 10 seconds to install the plastic anchor and 10 seconds to run the screw in.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I have a bunch of old "V" shaped plastic bushings that I use to run MC cable through the steel studs. :thumbsup:

After the run is pulled, I take them out for the next run of wire.

I don't think you can buy them anymore since they switched over to "full circle" bushings :(

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

I always use screws to mount everything. 10 seconds to drill the block, 10 seconds to install the plastic anchor and 10 seconds to run the screw in.

You mount your panels with plastic anchors? I only use them for small pipe runs anything else gets hollow wall anchors.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I agree.. things never come loose and it's a much better job.. plain and simple :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
hollow wall anchors aint much good without the set tool. our co. rarely uses them. i"ve always wondered what guys do with them set tools at home. :whistling2::censored:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So it seems for the most part gas is out of the question. Has anyone found a product that replaces the arlington sb13. They are pretty costly and add up quick. We generally just have to punch new holes and insert a connector.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts