Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Electricity is Amazing!
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work we have just started on a 3,500+ sq. ft house. Full main level and basement. The HO like "new" things. She likes anything new or things that not all houses have. Expense isn't very critical. She's already doing LED trims throughout the house, most all of them dimmed. There is an elevator going in. The entire outside was bricked by the time we got there. She ended up putting 18 receptacles in the brick around the house. We also ended up putting 12 receptacles in the soffit. She's putting lights in the deck that shine up onto the railing, as well as, lights in the stairs on the outside. We haven't quite finished the master bath and we ended up with 11 switches in the bathroom.

Anyone got any ideas to add. Anything new and different?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Good luck, I find GC's not very cooperative when it comes to HO's spending extra money on fancy "new" electrical things. GC's are so useless.

Lighting control is a big one.. many systems available, and many concepts for control.. it's amazing. Next step, integrating tablet/smartphone home control into a light duty automation system… pre-wire right now, wireless anything sucks.

One thing I really like is having the crown installed with a space at the top (Maybe 2"), where you can lay LED strips along the top to cast light up at the ceiling… really cool effect. Get a dimmable driver too.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Put a whole house audio system in. Run some cat5 to each volume control location and put in some 16gauge speaker wire in the walls where you want them. It should be an easy up-sell for someone like this.

·
Electricity is Amazing!
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whether it makes a difference, the couple is I'm guessing upper 50's in age, maybe lower 60s.

Good luck, I find GC's not very cooperative when it comes to HO's spending extra money on fancy "new" electrical things. GC's are so useless.

Lighting control is a big one.. many systems available, and many concepts for control.. it's amazing. Next step, integrating tablet/smartphone home control into a light duty automation system… pre-wire right now, wireless anything sucks.

One thing I really like is having the crown installed with a space at the top (Maybe 2"), where you can lay LED strips along the top to cast light up at the ceiling… really cool effect. Get a dimmable driver too.
There is no certain GC. Almost all the homes in are area are custom and no GC as most would think. The carpenter/builder is the GC. He helps where we need it and answers questions, but for the actual work, we always talk directly to the HO. This job is also all T&M. They currently live a block away, so she can come down and answer our questions with relative ease.
Put a whole house audio system in. Run some cat5 to each volume control location and put in some 16gauge speaker wire in the walls where you want them. It should be an easy up-sell for someone like this.
Something along them lines is already in the plans. Their having a company that specializes in that sort of thing come in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Switched receptacles in any mantels or shelves that might have a light.

In floor receptacles wherever they might have furniture in the middle of the room (piano)

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I like the idea of the sex dungeon. (does she like "new" penises ?)
Maybe a sex trapeze would be nice too.

How about a planetarium, or a large telescope with an observation deck ?

A missle launching pad would be nice, too. or even an indoor/outdoor shooting range/skeet range ?

a large tesla coil ?

·
Electricity is Amazing!
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do have a certain kind of dungeon, it's called the "Gun Room." It's a room in the basement. Couple of the walls are the concrete foundation. The framed walls are 8" on center and there is 5/8" rebar going horizontally through the walls 12" on center.

Switched receptacles in any mantels or shelves that might have a light.

In floor receptacles wherever they might have furniture in the middle of the room (piano)
She asked about wireless lamps because she doesn't want floor receptacles.
The living area will be a big open style room. She's worried about floor receptacles because she says she likes to move furniture around all the time and then they won't be in the right spot.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Can't think of a reason, since you're crawling all over the soffit's anyhow, to not put in provisions for POE/IP cameras around the house.

Reactions: Bbsound

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
In hallways, she should have the crown molding dropped a few inches, and lay LED tape in them, and run them off an occupancy sensor. That way, when you want to go to the bathroom or kitchen, the led tape will come on giving a nice glow so you can see where you are going, but without getting blinded in the middle of the night when you are groggy. When I build a house someday, it will be getting that feature.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
run 2" sch 40 from a central area out to nutone vac inlets , then make it to a shop vac w/relay.....cheap & easy

~CS~

1 - 20 of 52 Posts