Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what sort of head end this is as there is no discernable earth. It is an overhead supply to an 18th century cottage.

·
Administrator
EC
22,182 Posts
Sparky fill out your profile. I assume you are an electrician but AI have no idea what that is-- what country may help also.

Reactions: John Valdes

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
He's a Brit.
We need @gpop on the scene.
No good asking me i did not do to much work on old homes. It looks like a poco disconnect/main fuse before the meter. I presume one of the smaller wires is a bond and the other is the ground. large wire on left is 240v (fused that can only be changed by poco) and large wire on right is neutral.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,588 Posts
No good asking me i did not do to much work on old homes. It looks like a poco disconnect/main fuse before the meter. I presume one of the smaller wires is a bond and the other is the ground. large wire on left is 240v (fused that can only be changed by poco) and large wire on right is neutral.
What do you think the rationale is behind that?

·
Registered
Working With the Tools
665 Posts
Wouldn’t a volt hound help him narrow it down?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
What do you think the rationale is behind that?

Uk can be weird. In my old house the transformer was on a underground feed then it went overhead to 30 homes at 240v. Poles were not fused so main fuse was before the meter. (remember homes are a lot closer together)

Meters are not on stabs so you can not use them as a disconnect device. In the old days when you didn't pay they simply came in and pulled the fuse (they also use to come in to read the meter). Now they like to come in and remove the meter and add a pay as you go card meter. (before that you use to have to put 50p in the meter and turn the handle).
This may seem strange but we only payed the electric bill every 3 months and mine use to be high at nearly 90 bucks (20 years ago). I went postal when i seen my first US bill and i told the wife that $200 was way to much for 3 months then see told me that's a month. (oh f***)

My old mans was feed from a underground and that's simply tee tapped and buried under the pavement. So again you end up with no disconnect.

After the meter you have your own breaker panel. I have no idea why hes looking for a ground on that side of the meter. If the home has a ground its easy to find in the fuse/breaker panel (some old homes did not have a ground but you could simply call up poco and they would add one for free)

Electricians are way more reasonable on price over there so i would simply call one for a advice. (every little village has a local sparky)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts