Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help guys and gals! So I'm working today and need some PVC glue in a hurry. I really don't want to hold anything up by going to the Conex so I bum some PVC cement off of the elevator sub. He gave me some Gorilla brand PVC glue. But he didn't have the stupid brush. So I'm thinking no problem I got some gloves on, I get the crap on me all the time. It doesn't even burn anymore. So I quick dip my finger in the glue, swab the conduit and fittings and go. After a while my finger starts wrinkling up and hurt like nobody's business. I looked up the MSDS when I got home and, from the best I could gather, the glue is able to bond so tightly because it has a powerful degreaser and it sucks the fat out of the skin.when I got home, I slapped some Gold Bond lotion on to try and put some moisture back in. I need some pain relief! Here's a pic. That's Gold bond lotion not baby batter on my finger.

Attachments

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I need some help guys and gals! So I'm working today and need some PVC glue in a hurry. I really don't want to hold anything up by going to the Conex so I bum some PVC cement off of the elevator sub. He gave me some Gorilla brand PVC glue. But he didn't have the stupid brush. So I'm thinking no problem I got some gloves on, I get the crap on me all the time. It doesn't even burn anymore. So I quick dip my finger in the glue, swab the conduit and fittings and go. After a while my finger starts wrinkling up and hurt like nobody's business. I looked up the MSDS when I got home and, from the best I could gather, the glue is able to bond so tightly because it has a powerful degreaser and it sucks the fat out of the skin.when I got home, I slapped some Gold Bond lotion on to try and put some moisture back in. I need some pain relief! Here's a pic. That's Gold bond lotion not baby batter on my finger.
You just learned something new today.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
:laughing: I didn't even know "gorilla glue" made PVC glue..crazy.

I got a good burn on my ankles and shin one time while pouring concrete in a duct bank. The concrete truck bottomed out and had to drop its load all in one spot, so we jumped in and shoveled as much as we could to make it stretch the whole ditch. We were covered in concrete up to our knees, and got burn spots all over. They hurt and itched like crazy and it left me with a few scars.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
maybe you should change your screen name to "lights off" or "but nobody's home"

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,054 Posts
I'd never had problems with PVC glue affecting me when I got it on my hands or arms, but I was trying to hook onto a mole at the bottom of a bore hole when I lay on my stomach in a puddle that had been spilled; I really thought I'd laid down on a piece of glass or something: It was a really sharp burn, and my stomach turned bright red.

I'll add Gorilla Glue to the list of stuff not to screw with. I've seen guys regularly clean their hands in Xylene, and I'm 99% sure that's a terrible idea.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Gorilla glue=gorilla finger.

Cut a slab off an aloe plant and tape it to the gorilla finger. It will take away the pain. Or call an ambulance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts