Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Utility Substation Electrician
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just interviewed with the local union for a jatc apprenticeship. I'm not going to find out if I made it until august. I got out of the USMC in November and immediately got a job with a small non-union company. I did 1 large commercial build out job with them before my interview so that's all I had as far as experience when they asked. I got a letter of recommendation from the owner of that company saying I was one of his best employees, I also got a letter of recommendation from the USMC commander and both speak very highly of me. I showed up 30 mins early to the interview and the committee seemed to be very impressed with that. Some of the interview questions caught me off guard but I feel like I did pretty good with them. In anybody's experience will being a veteran help me at all? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I have absolutely no idea, but I've been hearing there's a lot of BS involved when selecting for an apprenticeship. For example I don't know anybody who's in the union so that is going to severely hurt my chances. Also I am not working for a union company right now so that could also play a big role. If I do not get selected what should be my next course of action for getting into the trade? Technical college or should I just keep pursuing the apprenticeship route?

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
it sounds like you have good potential. not working for a union co. now should not be such a big concern if youre getting good experience, but it may matter how strong the union inffluence is there

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just interviewed with the local union for a jatc apprenticeship. I'm not going to find out if I made it until august. I got out of the USMC in November and immediately got a job with a small non-union company. I did 1 large commercial build out job with them before my interview so that's all I had as far as experience when they asked. I got a letter of recommendation from the owner of that company saying I was one of his best employees, I also got a letter of recommendation from the USMC commander and both speak very highly of me. I showed up 30 mins early to the interview and the committee seemed to be very impressed with that. Some of the interview questions caught me off guard but I feel like I did pretty good with them. In anybody's experience will being a veteran help me at all? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I have absolutely no idea, but I've been hearing there's a lot of BS involved when selecting for an apprenticeship. For example I don't know anybody who's in the union so that is going to severely hurt my chances. Also I am not working for a union company right now so that could also play a big role. If I do not get selected what should be my next course of action for getting into the trade? Technical college or should I just keep pursuing the apprenticeship route?
No that will really F you up!.....:eek::laughing:

Just kidding Bro!..:laughing:

Thank you for your service..:thumbup:

You have done everything right and will do great in the electrical trade, The fact that you are an honorable veteran of the 'United States Marine Corps' will help you with being respected as a honorable man.

The fact that you work for a non union company should not matter,

Good luck...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think being a veteran with an honorable discharge and recommendations from your superiors could be very helpful during the selection process. I don’t think gaining experience at a non-union shop would be detrimental to your chances either. As long as your tests scores look good, based on what you’ve shared here, I’d say you have a decent chance. If you don’t get selected during this round, continue to gain electrical experience, and you might want to investigate taking a class or two.

·
Registered
Utility Substation Electrician
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys. If I were to not get accepted and just go to a trade school to learn, what would be a good school? Money is not an issue-the usmc is paying for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Devil Dog,
I dont know what the union thinks, but for me your time in the Corps is a major selling point. There is a reason that you employer says your are one of his best workers,,Its what was drilled into your soul in P.I. Apply your 14 leadership traits while working and learning this trade and you will be unstoppable. I wish you were in NY so I could help you more, but I'm sure you are going to do fine. Just like your Guidebook taught you everything you needed to know, our Codebook is your new Guidebook. Read that sucker every night, even if its only a quarter of a page, and don't go further unless you understand what you read. I would recommend some computer courses in electrical theory and test prep courses from SnapZ Electrician, where you get tons of questions, and are shown how to solve them in steps if you need it. A big Bravo Zulu for your service and best of luck. ,,Brian

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks for your help guys. If I were to not get accepted and just go to a trade school to learn, what would be a good school? Money is not an issue-the usmc is paying for it.
I would make sure that wherever you decide to take classes is an accredited institution. I'd probably start at your local community college and see if they have an apprenticeship coordinator/adviser you can talk to.

You can also check out this link which lists companies that have registered apprenticeship programs. Google the company and see if they have any program information on their website. I'd probably also see if there were any in your area and submit a resume and application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.