Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
I think you're mistaken, but if you CAN go union, do it.

They may not want you or even be able to take you.. in which case, take ANYTHING you can.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Don't know.

http://www.electricalapprenticeship.ca/timeline/index.html

THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS HELD ONLY ONCE A YEAR. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A SUPPLY AND DEMAND INDUSTRY AND NOTIFICATION MAY BE SHORT.

Step 2: Those applicants meeting the initial requirements will be required to undergo a computerized mechanical aptitude test. Dates to be given when the application is complete.

Step: 3: The top applicants will be notified by phone/mail for an interview.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting... So going forward in this field what is the best ticket to obtain or field to get most knowledge in? I always hear controls is the best but if the union is only providing a construction and maintence ticket surely it must be that right?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Interesting... So going forward in this field what is the best ticket to obtain or field to get most knowledge in? I always hear controls is the best but if the union is only providing a construction and maintence ticket surely it must be that right?
Careful! That's a real can of worms your opening. The pipe and wire guys are going to get pissed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A lot of places around here hire their own in house controls electricians, I did it for a year messing with all sorts of low and high voltages relays, plcs, motor controls, servos, rfid readers, sensors, etc. It was fun, but doing it everyday in the environment I was in got taxing. I just switched back to residential and couldn't be happier, though I still design electrical control schematics for a company.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
My local union only does construction and residential. Are all locals like this?
That depends, are talking about working for an EC or directly for a plant?

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
I am on the industrial side.

I have never been IBEW, but I have been UAW, USW, Teamsters, ICWUC. Generally you are the union that covers that shop or mill.

Try to pick a place that will be around more than 5 years- thats generally how long it takes to be vested in your pension.

I know a guy who has been very unlucky, and has 18 out of 35 years in the trade with no pension. I am lucky, and only have 4 non-vested years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts