Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,867 Posts
I put my winter tires on my car a month ago. What I didn’t do yesterday was put winter boots on my feet. I ran out the door wearing slick running shoes, slipped on the step, landed in the snow and screwed up my ankle.

I’m slammed with work and don’t have time for stupid. Duh.
Sorry to hear this. It really sucks especially when you have so much work going on. I remember years ago playing baseball with the Roy Hobbs league and making a shoestring catch rolling onto my shoulder and ending up with a broken collarbone. Lost 6 weeks.... fortunately I did have a few employees but it did hurt the pocketbook since I was in the field at that time.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,737 Posts
I put my winter tires on my car a month ago. What I didn’t do yesterday was put winter boots on my feet. I ran out the door wearing slick running shoes, slipped on the step, landed in the snow and screwed up my ankle.

I’m slammed with work and don’t have time for stupid. Duh.
Your PE teacher would tell you to walk it off, you’ll be fine.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,922 Posts
Sorry to hear 99, hope it's better soon for you.

I saw a Marketplace episode on Winter boots. Apparently the 'Ice-fx' sole from Mark's (on the Denver Hayes boots) was the only one that passed the ice test.
I have a pair, and they really do work well on ice.

·
Estwing magic
26,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I saw a Marketplace episode on Winter boots. Apparently the 'Ice-fx' sole from Mark's (on the Denver Hayes boots) was the only one that passed the ice test.
Is that the one with coconut chips embedded in the sole?

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
3,072 Posts
I was going to make a smart-alecky remark but then suddenly remembered I'm going to be climbing around on slippery snow-covered rocks all day.

I'll defer my comments until later......

Hope you're better soon!

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Your PE teacher would tell you to walk it off, you’ll be fine.
“Rub some dirt on it… you’ll be fine.” is what my football coach would always say.

I heard that line in the movie “We’re the Millers” after the kid gets bitten in the balls by a tarantula. That cracked me up so much I couldn’t breath. I had always thought that line was my coaches peccadillo, when I heard it in the movie, I realized it was more common.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,922 Posts
Is that the one with coconut chips embedded in the sole?
I've seen ads for winter tires, and that's what they say they have for ice traction.

I dunno ... They look more like little shards of metal.
Not a boot I'd want to walk on hardwood or floating floor with thou !

Reactions: 99cents

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,737 Posts

When I worked maintenance at the chemical plant we had things called spikeys that went over your toes and around your heels. They were an elastic rubber with steel studs in them. That place had so many steam and condensate leaks it was a skating rink in winter.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,050 Posts
When I worked maintenance at the chemical plant we had things called spikeys that went over your toes and around your heels. They were an elastic rubber with steel studs in them. That place had so many steam and condensate leaks it was a skating rink in winter.
Like these things?

Attachments

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,805 Posts
Like these things?
When my kid moved to Eastern WA, they got those as a gift. Essential for slick bottomed shoes, and even Chuck Taylors.

Seeing someone remove those in the foyer and then slip on the wet floor is common, though.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,922 Posts
I've got a couple different versions of those. The spikes, and another one has metal cleats.
No other way to pull in cable underground when you're on a sheet of ice !

We always get at least couple of good ice storms every winter here, and just overall icy all winter.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,231 Posts
I have tried a bunch of these, they're all pretty good but the Yaktrax might be the best ones.

Shoe Outdoor shoe Sandal Font Walking shoe

1 - 20 of 52 Posts