Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
12,212 Posts
Has anybody bent EMT off the wrong foot? :(
I think you need two good ankles to bend on the floor. I don't mind bending 3/4" in the air so I'd do that. Run more 3/4" conduits rather than fewer larger where possible. Buy factory made bends and offsets and assemble what you have to for the larger pipes.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,212 Posts
I think you need two good ankles to bend on the floor. I don't mind bending 3/4" in the air so I'd do that. Run more 3/4" conduits rather than fewer larger where possible. By factory made bends and offsets and assemble what you have to for the larger pipes.
All that bending 3/4 in the air may give you a sore underarm. Nobody uses 1/2" for commercial but there's no real reason not to use some, it bends so easy, no need to even use the armpit. I don't know how it is in Canada but here you can get 9 #12 THHN in EMT, which works out well with derating anyway. So use 1/2" where you can.

Of course you'll probably use this as an excuse to use that nasty ENT 🤮

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,725 Posts
All that bending 3/4 in the air may give you a sore underarm. Nobody uses 1/2" for commercial but there's no real reason not to use some, it bends so easy, no need to even use the armpit. I don't know how it is in Canada but here you can get 9 #12 THHN in EMT, which works out well with derating anyway. So use 1/2" where you can.

Of course you'll probably use this as an excuse to use that nasty ENT 🤮
The answer of course is Teck90.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,903 Posts
I have tried a bunch of these, they're all pretty good but the Yaktrax might be the best ones.
They look nice. The problem with the other styles (for me anyways), was you had to take them off to drive the truck.
on/off every time you got in and out.

They look like you could keep them on, and still be able to drive.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,903 Posts
I think you need two good ankles to bend on the floor. I don't mind bending 3/4" in the air so I'd do that. Run more 3/4" conduits rather than fewer larger where possible. Buy factory made bends and offsets and assemble what you have to for the larger pipes.
I hope this doesn't mean I have to look at more pics of box offset connectors :cry:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,134 Posts
All electrician should use them. Only silly people who are against more profit oppose their use.
Why would I spend perfectly good money on an offset, when I can bend 1 up in less than a minute?

Reactions: splatz
21 - 40 of 52 Posts