Electrician Talk banner

If you only knew

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  SparkyDino 
#1 ·
If you could rewind time 5 years before you started up business what preparations would you have done?

Classes on bus. Management?
More capital?
More experience?
Never done it at all?
More commercial?
More resi?

One year out from jman test two away from a masters.

Let me hear it

#4 ·
I would have stopped living on the road in motels chasing shut downs.

Asked my dad for advice before he died.

Then, make all the same mistakes over again because I'm a slow learner :laughing:

#6 ·
Ok. Yes stay in school. Good advice for twenty year olds. Reality is we can't all be doctors and desk jockeys. I like my career I chose and am too old with mouths to feed to start over. Besides like I said I enjoy what I do.

Some real advice would be helpful

#8 ·
Would not have done it

Just went on a paid vacation for the first time in twenty years, because
I now work for a company again. Owning a business has it good sides and bad, but alot of time is unbillable. I now have health benifits, paid holidays, sick time ....... So I would not do it again:)

#9 ·
I have had this company for 2 years and grown more than I would have thought. But one thing I would say. Is understand the trade as best as possible. Specialize is something to make it profitable. And LEARN HOW TO DO BUSINESS OFF THE FIELD. Understand accounting. And how a company is run in the numbers.

#10 ·
Built2ride said:
I have had this company for 2 years and grown more than I would have thought. But one thing I would say. Is understand the trade as best as possible. Specialize is something to make it profitable. And LEARN HOW TO DO BUSINESS OFF THE FIELD. Understand accounting. And how a company is run in the numbers.
Where is a good place to start with the accounting? Any suggestions on books?

If you don't mind me asking what specialization has worked for you?

#11 ·
just the cowboy said:
Just went on a paid vacation for the first time in twenty years, because I now work for a company again. Owning a business has it good sides and bad, but alot of time is unbillable. I now have health benifits, paid holidays, sick time ....... So I would not do it again:)
But I bet it was one hell of a ride when you were in business and you would not have been satisfied with yourself if you hadn't

#13 ·
It's really meant to be open ended.

I have about five years before I can really consider making the leap. I guess the business/management side is where I would want to hear the most about.

Books that helped,skills u wished u would have developed more etc.

Stay in school doesn't help much unfortunately.

#14 ·
flyboy said:
My answer would be the same as many here. Stay in school. In spite of the fact I read lots of self help motivational book, which I attribute most of success today to, I wish I had pursued an MBA. Since going to school would not have been possible for me 30 years ago, I wish I had a handle on the financial side of business (knew the numbers) 5 years before I started. I could have got to where I am today a lot sooner. If you could be more specific, perhaps more help would be forthcoming. What areas in business do you need advice on?
When you saying new the numbers what do you mean by that? Is there an area that you struggled more than others?

#16 ·
I had the value of a college education behind me before I started....Studied accounting for 2 years then materials management for my B.S. If you are a sparky you have the brains to run a business...its not rocket science....but heres the catch..."the devils in the details"...being able to keep a dozen balls in the air and tracking them is key...if you can do a lot of things and keep track of all of them success can be had....you have to be organized...not crazy neat but organized....lastly...sales...you have to be able to sell what they are buying...you can be the best at all the above but if you can't sell....they won't buy...good luck... keep us posted:thumbup:

#20 ·
for a long time it was the same for me.

however, a lot of people have natural sales instincts and they just don't realize
it until they have to sell. if you can make people feel comfortable with your manners and your knowledge and your skills for the task at hand, or ability to perform the task at hand well, you can sell, and it will come naturally. Allowing people to feel comfortable with you (as a person and as a contractor) allows them to feel like they are making the right decision with you (and hopefully they are).

as usual, just my 02

Reactions: Locknutz
#21 ·
It may sound silly, but in the 90's when I went into business the 1st time I read a bunch of "self help" books.

Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins & the likes.

taught myself to be positive & outgoing & to keep going no matter how many closed doors on me, or said no. I learned how to network also.

every morning I told myself that every building with electric in it was a potential customer & to go after it. [I didn't put post it notes all over my house though lol]

after a little while it just became 2nd nature to be and stay positive all the time, not be nervous with public speaking and be a salesman.

#22 · (Edited)
It may sound silly, but in the 90's when I went into business the 1st time I read a bunch of "self help" books.

Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins & the likes.

taught myself to be positive & outgoing & to keep going no matter how many closed doors on me, or said no. I learned how to network also.

every morning I told myself that every building with electric in it was a potential customer & to go after it.

after a little while it just became 2nd nature to be and stay positive all the time, not be nervous with public speaking and be a salesman.
This one EC I worked for sent us all (12 guys) to a Tony Robbins convention in the medowlands...is was actually a good experiance.
Ive always been pretty resourceful but he helps lay it all out... many times the one thing holding you back is yourself. .....good stuff..

#25 ·
Yep my hardest hurdle is that right there. I hear successful people say that that is one big reason they are successful they have surrounded themselves with good people.
Been in business over 8 years now and that by far is still my problem I have been used to doing it all myself it comes from when I worked for others especially service work where I was usually by myself.
I have slowly been trying to remedy that though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.