Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a breaker tripping. Opened everything on that circuit, and everything looked and tested good. Disconnected neutral and the breaker held. Touched it to neutral bar and it still held. Reconnected the neutral all was fine. Turned everything on and took an amp reading. That too was good. Assumed the breaker had crapped out, and replaced it. Just got called back to the house, same circuit. Tripped and wouldn't reset until I disconnected and reconnected the neutral.
I had asked the home owner what they were doing when the circuit tripped. Both times they said just watching tv. I cannot figure out or understand the cause/solution to this. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
priorityelectric said:
I had a breaker tripping. Opened everything on that circuit, and everything looked and tested good. Disconnected neutral and the breaker held. Touched it to neutral bar and it still held. Reconnected the neutral all was fine. Turned everything on and took an amp reading. That too was good. Assumed the breaker had crapped out, and replaced it. Just got called back to the house, same circuit. Tripped and wouldn't reset until I disconnected and reconnected the neutral.
I had asked the home owner what they were doing when the circuit tripped. Both times they said just watching tv. I cannot figure out or understand the cause/solution to this. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
Plug tv into another circuit. See what circuit trips.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
Is this a standard breaker or an afci? Not sure it matters but...have to know all info.

Other than the TV what electronics are on the circuit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Standard breaker. The circuit is living room outlets and lights, kitchen light, and hall light. Tv, lamps, and child phones are what's plugged into the circuit. I have had them all on and even called my cell from both phones plugged in. Maybe 7 outlets on circuit, 3 are unused.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Maybe there's a load on it you're not aware of.

Things like an old refrigerator can cause this. The defrost elements short out, and every 24 hours when the fridge goes into defrost mode, the breaker trips.

Could be an attic fan motor that's crapped out. Attic heats up, stat turns on fan, breaker trips.

Abandoned feed buried in the yard that used to go to a pole light. Enough corrosion to overload the circuit when moisture conditions are right.

A million things could be listed.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You didn't meg the circuit, right.

A double doughnut amp tester would also be a nice test on the line.

You plug it in series to the power and have two places to take a amp reading,
IE hot and neutral.

Sorry, looked for a picture to no avail...

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
None of the statements explain why removing the neutral seems to reset the circuit. It makes absolutely no sense to me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pete it is a single family home elderly couple.

Dennis, I've asked many people nobody has a clue.

Swordsman, one of the first things i do when i open a panel on a service call.

Expediter, possibly a staple, no signs of rodents in house.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,640 Posts
Maybe there's a load on it you're not aware of.

Things like an old refrigerator can cause this. The defrost elements short out, and every 24 hours when the fridge goes into defrost mode, the breaker trips.

Could be an attic fan motor that's crapped out. Attic heats up, stat turns on fan, breaker trips.

Abandoned feed buried in the yard that used to go to a pole light. Enough corrosion to overload the circuit when moisture conditions are right.

A million things could be listed.
These are really good examples. I'd love to see people list similar examples they have actually encountered.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
Yes a million things can be listed but none explain why the neutral must be taken off to reset the breaker. I somehow think this is not really the case but IDK.

Reactions: Bugz11B
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.