Electrician Talk banner

Impact driver/drilll or Hammer drill?

7555 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  RHWilks
I'm going to be starting a new job doing mostly commercial electrical and was wondering if it I would be better suited to invest in a nicer impact driver or a hammer drill and why? thanks in advance.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
2,503 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the hammerdrill/driver combo.. makes for a heavy tool that is $hitty at everything.

Personally I use my impact driver the most.. it's light, it's fast, it's smaller, it's powerful. But I also have a hammer drill that rarely gets used.

· Data Tech/Apprentice.
8,974 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the hammerdrill/driver combo.. makes for a heavy tool that is $hitty at everything.

Personally I use my impact driver the most.. it's light, it's fast, it's smaller, it's powerful. But I also have a hammer drill that rarely gets used.
I have a rotary hammer for concrete but for red brick and rough cast I use the impact feature of my hammer drill.

· Registered
84 Posts
I would go cordless drill, then cordless impact, then corded sds or spline hammer drill. They all serve a purpose and you will find that out in time. Get the best one you can buy at the time, with the budget you create. Took me years to learn about the right tool for the right job, and also to not go broke in the process of aquiring said tools!

· Electricity is Amazing!
914 Posts

That's true, but if you're not in a commercial environment and only have occasional holes to put in concrete, the hammer drill/driver is much more convenient. It's nice not having to carry around an extra tool.

I only could buy one, it would be the hammer drill/driver. Personally I use my impact much more, but it's difficult to drill a starter hole for punching KO's with an impact.
It's not bad with Dewalts new impact step bits. Just picked one up and it works great. It does work better in a drill, but it works pretty darn good in an impact driver.

· Banned
2,503 Posts
That's true, but if you're not in a commercial environment and only have occasional holes to put in concrete, the hammer drill/driver is much more convenient. It's nice not having to carry around an extra tool.
I see it the opposite way..

I would rather keep an extra tool in my truck that I rarely use, than ALWAYS carrying around a heavier tool with features I rarely use.

But it is somewhat of a conundrum. I say just drop the cash and buy everything!

Estwing magic
28,098 Posts
You're not going to be hammering all day with a cordless drill. The hammer function on a cordless drill is almost a marketing gimmick and only for occasional use. It's up to the employer to provide a REAL hammer drill.

If you're on a limited budget, start with a reasonable drill/driver. 18V brushless might be a good way to start. You can then add a "bare tool" impact at reasonable cost later on since you already have the batteries. If you go 18V, make sure one of your batteries is 3.0AH. The 1.5AH batteries are nice and compact but don't like to work very hard.

· Registered
421 Posts
I carry both, and a cordless sawzall...flash lights are handy also. I would be more inclined to say impact, I carry mine everywhere. Also..the Milwaukee "shock" impact bits are the best ones I have came across to this date. HD has a kit $20 add a 3/8 socket set and you are ready. And a unibit that will chuck up in the impact. You will be fine on most sheet metal frame jobs. If I only had 1 impact. Let the office supply you a hilti TE2!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.