Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, I'm wondering if I use in floor heating as the only source for a bathroom and porch would it be suffice? I was considering adding a second source for each room but this would add extra cost that may not be required. What is your experience with this?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,571 Posts
In floor heat?? Under the tile? If so there is no way that will keep a room warm. Most of them, depending on bathroom size are less than 600 watts . It is only design to keep your tootsies warm

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
CEC09 said:
Hey people, I'm wondering if I use in floor heating as the only source for a bathroom and porch would it be suffice? I was considering adding a second source for each room but this would add extra cost that may not be required. What is your experience with this?
Floor warming is different than floor heating. It has to do with watts per square foot.

·
Estwing magic
26,320 Posts
This stuff can put out 12W per square foot which, theoretically, MIGHT give you enough space heating but you have said nothing about R rating, infiltration, etc. I would at least throw some extra wire in the wall for future baseboard heaters or recessed fan forced heaters as a Plan B.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,024 Posts
This stuff can put out 12W per square foot which, theoretically, MIGHT give you enough space heating but you have said nothing about R rating, infiltration, etc. I would at least throw some extra wire in the wall for future baseboard heaters or recessed fan forced heaters as a Plan B.
I agree, The extra cables may never be used, but at least you are ready just in case.
Electric heat is calculated at 10 watts per square foot, so in theory, a small bathroom could be heated by the floor only.

I have done houses, where the entrance was heated solely by the infloor. The customer's only complaint was that, it takes too long to recover if the door is open too long (at -30 or so)

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I have it as the only heat source in my small washroom.....just a toilet and a sink in there and no exterior walls. It does fine in there but wouldnt trust it in a larger room or with too many exterior walls or anything like that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The specific heating cables I am using only have a max of 4 watts per SqF. My washroom is approx 75 SqF with tub, vanity etc on floor as well, prob won't be enough to do it. The walls are R25, two interior, two cold.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,024 Posts
The specific heating cables I am using only have a max of 4 watts per SqF. My washroom is approx 75 SqF with tub, vanity etc on floor as well, prob won't be enough to do it. The walls are R25, two interior, two cold.

Use Stelpro #CT1W0480S044
12w/ft on 3 in center

·
Estwing magic
26,320 Posts
Nope, unless you want to shower in your parka.

I would add one of those small fan forced recessed heaters in the bathroom. wcord is right, 10 Watts per square foot is a good rule of thumb for average insulation levels and an 8' ceiling. I wouldn't include the floor warming in your Watts loss calculation.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
maybe for the bathroom but not for the porch. a porch needs at least 1500-2000w to heat up when door is open frequently

1 - 10 of 10 Posts