Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Put one of these in the other day. I was trying to replace a 15 amp GFCI receptacle outdoors, with a 20 amp. Well the screws used previous were all wooden screws, so the box was useless! :mad: I talked the home owner into one of these. Now the front of the house is stone, so the cover couldn't be opened unless it was stuck out a bit! No problem, I did that easily. Just needed a mason to re work the mortar behind the box.

Got a call and the homeowner wants this big bulky cover gone, and a normal cover put on. What the customer wants the customer gets. To a point! :) It's existing so no inspection or update required! I like to bring things to code if easily accomplished, which it was!

Got thinking about it and I have to agree with the home owner on this one. It's ugly and will likely get broken in short order. Plus, in Alberta winters this does not protect the device!

What do you think? Have manufacturers gone too far here by convincing CSA code writers this is a safer product!

I say the tail shouldn't wag the dog! ;)

Thanks, Borgi

·
Banned
202 Posts
I love those things, get to charge a couple hundred bucks to replace broken ones all the time. We need more products like this to keep the service side going strong. On a side note you sure love your exclamation points!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,444 Posts
The bubble covers are only necessary , under the NEC, where the outlets are installed in wet locations. If you are under a good size canopy or a screen porch you may not need that. I agree they are ugle but there is one on the market that expands made by taymac. http://www.taymac.com/products/plastic_covers

These are in use covers but are pretty flat when not used.

Reactions: 51360

·
Electrical Contractor
5,567 Posts
Put one of those covers on, and within 5 minutes, the wind had ripped the thing to pieces. Of course it was -40c ( Churchill)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Those are pretty common. You can find them at home depot. They usually have a clear window.
I bought the bubble one at Home Depot, didn't see the nice folding one, ( well it looks like it folds ), " Dennis Alwon " found. Are they only sold in the States

But, sounds like they don't hold up to Canadian winters. ;)

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love those things, get to charge a couple hundred bucks to replace broken ones all the time. We need more products like this to keep the service side going strong. On a side note you sure love your exclamation points!!!!!!!
:) I take a sip of cold beer each time I use one!!! :laughing:

Thanks, Borgi

·
Electrical Contractor
5,567 Posts
Garbage rule to sell a garbage product. Code book may as well become a magazine with full page glossy advertising.
This is what happens when CSA tries to institute NEC rules, which are designed for southern state's temps.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,444 Posts
But, sounds like like don't hold up to Canadian winters. ;)

Thanks, Borgi
I agree I think these would not hold up long in Canada and I suspect if you tried to pull it out in the sub zero weather it probably would not work.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Right up there with fan rated boxes and AFCI breakers.

Year's in the trade, service being my specialty, and I've yet to receive any calls for ceiling fans falling from their octagons, or AFCI breakers tripping due to an arcing fault. Plus, they only accommodate about 40% of manufacturer cord ends, and force a sharp tight kinking bend into them.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right up there with fan rated boxes and AFCI breakers.

Year's in the trade, service being my specialty, and I've yet to receive any calls for ceiling fans falling from their octagons, or AFCI breakers tripping due to an arcing fault. Plus, they only accommodate about 40% of manufacturer cord ends, and force a sharp tight kinking bend into them.
I agree, the code writers are not listening to the people working in the trade, but listen to big manufacturer' recommendations. Borderline corruption! :mad:

Unfortunately, we have to try and keep customers happy and also abide to the code. I try, but I also drink a lot!!! :laughing:

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which would make it much easier to get rid of the inspectors who have their own interpretation - can't argue with a picture!
True, as long as the moron is presenting the correct picture, not one completely out of context and irrelevant to the code in question!

It happens, I've seen it happen here! :laughing:

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Like I said earlier in the post, I had to stick the new box and cover out a bit so the cover could open. A little bit of cement work and all is good! :no:

She disliked it, so I will be replacing it! ;)

Thanks, Borgi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.